Brakes binding

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dan.

Reaction score
For the first time this year I've had to spend some cash since the resto was done over 4 years ago, the MOT came up with the brakes hardly working and the front drums were stripped and refitted with new parts. They worked a treat. On route to alive n v dubbin in Ipswich I could smell like a clutch/brake smell and a few miles later white smoke poured from the o/s/r drum. it was too hot to touch so sat in a layby had some dinner waiting for recovery services who eventually arrived and freed off the shoes inside the drum enough to continue on the last couple of miles before driving carefully home. I was also towing my eriba pan so was already driving carefully as it was the first time I had done some miles with it.

Now the local garage I used fitted some new rear shoes but the drum on the o/s/r still warms up, not as much, but I've not done the miles to do so. They have told me I need new drums and that the wheel bearings need replacing too. apparently the n/s/r bearing is worse tho.

Reading up I've seen that just replacing the bearings could cure the issues, does this make sense? and these are much more easily available than the drums, would this work? has anyone had any experience with the same?

I'm off to the Isle of White later this week and taking the pan too, help needed ASAP please and thank you.

Its no good guessing and randomly replacing parts. You will end up spending a lot of time and money.

You need to establish why the problem is occurring.

Wheel bearing play can be checked without replacing them.

Find out why the lining is touching the drum eg. are the shoes over adjusted, is the handbrake cable over adjusted or sticking, is the wheel cylinder sticking, are the return springs working, are the flexible brake pipes allowing fluid back after releasing the pedal, is the master cylinder returning properly, is there sufficient free play on the brake pedal.

I've hear collapsing flexis can cause this try changing those if you haven't already cheap too

whs flexy pipes on bays are cheep and its a common fault for over heating brakes fit a set of steel braided ones also make the pedal firm and brake better

Latest posts