Brakes seizing on and then no brakes at all!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocker

Reaction score
Hi

1971 Westie. Having a problem of no brakes! After several trips I've noticed that when pulling up heavy / sharp, the brakes will lock on - I can tell this by the loss of power, the smell and when pulling up, the camper comes to an abrupt stop on its own.

Sometimes they free themselves but after a while we just lose the brakes - pressing them right to the floor but there's nothing. If left for a few minutes they seem to come back but it gives us a heart attack in the meantime.

It was an intermittent problem but seems to be getting worse.

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated

Hi!

Sounds like a collapsed flexi brake hose, if you are unsure of the age, change them anyway, they fail internally and can cause fluid not to return, hence sticking on brakes - as far as i understand..........

Cheers!

Alistair

stop driving it now and change your master cylinder, losing the brakes is certainly down to that, if it were just the brake seizing on then i'd suspect the flexi hoses. Either way its worth doing both so you have peace of mind.

In addition you can have seized callipers, so after doing the other components see how easy the pistons come out and retract. These can also be refurbished.

Rocker said:
Sometimes they free themselves but after a while we just lose the brakes - pressing them right to the floor but there's nothing. If left for a few minutes they seem to come back but it gives us a heart attack in the meantime.

It was an intermittent problem but seems to be getting worse.

Erm - you mean you didn't get this sorted after it happened the first time?

;)

Cheers for the help and yeah I like living on the edge! :evil: that or not being mechanical was hoping it would go away!!! Got someone looking at it next week but being impatient I was looking for a simple answer. :lol:

Had similar myself. The binding wasn't really going, just eased a bit and after a while your brake fluid overheats and you end up with pedal to the floor and no brakes!

As above I changed calipers (mines a late 71, so crossover) as they were pretty knackered, and flexi's. I would start with calipers if you have them, or wheel cylinders and see how easily pistons return and then check the flexi's. Easier to start here than master cylinder, and you might just be lucky.

Calipers not cheap but you can buy kits to refurb if they aren't too rusted/pitted.

Good luck!

i had similar problems an and my 71 calipers were hard to get good replacements for, i had ordered JKs later caliper conversion kit for £210. then a mate told me to try the flexi pipes,
£20 later perfect brakes, i sent the calipers back. they will have to wait for another time.

Latest posts