Brakes? What set up?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gambit

Reaction score
Posted this in technical section, few views but no advice, ive pasted it below, any advice would be gratefully received.........

Hi folks, time is of the essence, basically considering brake upgrade, thinking of CSP or maybe take advantage of offer advertised by futbus but in the style of harry hills tv burp, which is best????? FIGHT!!

Seriously tho, how do they compare?
Frank

I would think they will act in a very similar way, the CSP kit is based on Vauxhall parts from memory, well the pads are from an astra and the Futbus kit is based on VAG parts. The futbus one comes in cheaper and from memory comes with vented discs as standard whereas I think these are extra on the CSP set up.

As a disc brake set up they will both work in a similar way and most importantly stop in a very similar way and an improvement on the drum brakes so I think it comes down to preference, CSP have been making disc brake kits for years whereas the futbus offerings are newer but certainly look well engineered.

I'm thinking of fitting a set of Futbus ones to the shop bus.(whichever bus that turns out to be next!! :lol: :lol: :lol: )

Have you thought about fitting the later type disc set up. New spindles, discs, pads, calipers etc? you could probably get these a lot cheaper than either of the other 2 options, the only real issue is they are narrow 5 so you may need adapter plates if you have wide 5 wheels (have a look at Uber cool's gallery thread this is what he has done) Another option is to fit a Porsche 944(?) brake set up, quite a few people are running these as they also work out cheaper than both Futbus / CSP options. (IIRC Leon is running the porsche set up (also Nelly is but on a different scale :lol: ))

I'm pretty happy with late bay setup and still have wide 5 356 rims. Track 5mm wide, but that is hardly noticeable. The Porsche setup is also good. But both need you to source 2nd hand parts and overhaul other bits. Futbus or csp are off the shelf parts and new. Depends what you need out of the conversion. I heard mixed reviews with the csp ie is it much better than standard late discs as its solid discs and 2 pot calipers same as late bay. The futbus is vented. Behind futbus is a guy you can speak to for advice and support. Whereas csp? Not sure other than going through a supplier. If I had to buy again, and I might now I'm upgrading the engine to a Porsche engine, I'd go for the futbus kit.

Cheers for the advice guys, ive considered most of points over the months but ive got lovely set of american eagle fuch alloys which bolt straight onto wide 5 set up so think i'll go down that route. At face value the futbus set up looks good but i didnt know anything about them till i stumbled upon them through here, also saw the bustang brakes earlybay member had, lets just say my heads swimmin!!!

But i defo need brake upgrade due to impending family so ive decided to go with futbus set up so thanks again people

Frank

Hi Gambit

What set up do you have at the moment?

I'd like to do something with the brakes. I did consider a servo, but that seems like big bucks.

I've got a '72 so already have discs on the front. Would I just need to put discs on the back or replace the lot?

Thanks...

Baldric have you not got a servo fitted then?

The servo wont improve the braking performance perse but make it easier to apply pressure...

As your running a disc set up already you just need to sort em out replace all hard and soft lines etc.....

Araon said:
Baldric have you not got a servo fitted then?

The servo wont improve the braking performance perse but make it easier to apply pressure...

As your running a disc set up already you just need to sort em out replace all hard and soft lines etc.....

Hi Araon

Mine is a '72 crossover but doesn't have a servo. I've got front discs but rear drums. The braking is just about OK but I'd like the confidence of a bit more stopping power.

Thanks

Ive got drums all round at minute and when i brake it pulls badly to 1 side and have to fight with steering wheel at same time,eased with some adjustment but im hoping disc set up will restore some much needed confidence to my braking.

With regards to your set up, sounds tho you need your brakes overhauled cos i considered going down to 4 pot disc brakes not only from a cost perspective but also reliability as nearly as effective as a modern set up.

Think ive opened up can of woms tho cos although i love the stance of the van, when im camping in north of scotland there are few issues on the more undulating roads, got stuck in car park full of craters and pot holes in Glencoe for 30 minutes and nearly had to lose the exhaust! So i planned o raise it slightly but discovered my beams been lowered using cut and turning method i think by previous owner (Chris or popcorn balls on here) and ive bought replacement beam but not sure if bought the right 1 as Aug 69 sems to be bit of cross over period regarding front beams. My knowledge of such maters is sketchy at best i guess time (and a mechanic) will tell in near future

Frank

Latest posts