Brazil why dont u hear of any busses

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lil_azza

Reaction score
Y dont u hear of any busses from here? I have a old school friend that lives there and has sent me links of a lot a few split 21 windows at extremly good rates, isit the shipping? Or random shapes and parts they use?

There are a few companies that import Brazilian buses on a large scale and convert them for UK use, they are generally in a different market place than old original vans. There are issues with importing a 'new' van as opposed to an old one, type approval and tax rates for starters. Vans in Brazil itself are used for everyday work and as such, get a hard life and generally arent worth bothering with. They are produced there in the original Volkswagen concept - cheap transport for the people. :)

Clem said:
There are a few companies that import Brazilian buses on a large scale and convert them for UK use, they are generally in a different market place than old original vans. There are issues with importing a 'new' van as opposed to an old one, type approval and tax rates for starters. Vans in Brazil itself are used for everyday work and as such, get a hard life and generally arent worth bothering with. They are produced there in the original Volkswagen concept - cheap transport for the people. :)

Not for much longer, production ceases at the end of 2013 due to the new laws that come into effect in January 2014 requiring driver and front passenger airbags, and anti-lock brakes, in every new car sold in Brazil.

sparkywig said:
Clem said:

Not for much longer, production ceases at the end of 2013 due to the new laws that come into effect in January 2014 requiring driver and front passenger airbags, and anti-lock brakes, in every new car sold in Brazil.

Doesn't that mean Danbury are stuck - or are they coming in from other places like mexico?

Yea i heard something about the airbags etc but its just there seems to be a far few very good price vans in good condition is it mainly just the crazy taxs they charge?

sparkywig said:
Brazil is the only source of buses, Danbury sell other marques as well and would have made enough money anyway over the last few years....

Yep just that. They hold a large stock of buses, so I expect we'll continue to see new ones hitting the roads for a good part of 2014.

I was over at Danbury to pick some wheels up recently and I noticed a few things:

There were an awful lot of new, white buses awaiting conversion (I guess they will just stock up on some more)
Why the hell does anyone want to pay £50,000 for one when you either get a T5 California and change or an earlybay built as new so all the trophies at the show and shines can be won?

I just dont get it.

analord said:
I was over at Danbury to pick some wheels up recently and I noticed a few things:

There were an awful lot of new, white buses awaiting conversion (I guess they will just stock up on some more)
Why the hell does anyone want to pay £50,000 for one when you either get a T5 California and change or an earlybay built as new so all the trophies at the show and shines can be won?

I just dont get it.

Though I also don't get why, I can see why people would - want a vw camper van, would prefer to buy new with warranty e.t.c. like a modern vehicle purchase and all that goes with it - it's a convenient way to get a bus without any of the perceived hang-ups...

my ultimate job would be restoring classics (vw's, porsches e.t.c.) to as near as new condition and selling them with warranty e.t.c. from a fully stocked showroom supported by a servicing department (separate to a restoration facilities) - you just need the investment in stock, facilities, staff, advertising, equipment e.t.c. to get it off the ground with the right level of investment - a bit like the racing green garages but for less exotic marques - that's the plan when I win the lottery at least! :D

lard said:
analord said:

I just dont get it.

Though I also don't get why, I can see why people would - want a vw camper van, would prefer to buy new with warranty e.t.c. like a modern vehicle purchase and all that goes with it - it's a convenient way to get a bus without any of the perceived hang-ups...

my ultimate job would be restoring classics (vw's, porsches e.t.c.) to as near as new condition and selling them with warranty e.t.c. from a fully stocked showroom supported by a servicing department (separate to a restoration facilities) - you just need the investment in stock, facilities, staff, advertising, equipment e.t.c. to get it off the ground with the right level of investment - a bit like the racing green garages but for less exotic marques - that's the plan when I win the lottery at least! :D
well said lard...with the demise of the danbury expect gday kombis, vwclassics to flourish

I would much prefer that option. I guess you pays yer money etc..... Those Brazilians do seem a bit expensive though when the owners punt them on in Volksworld a few years later too

I've only looked closely at one Brazillian bus and have to say the build quality seemed pretty poor. Doors that didn't fit remotely as they should, flimsy cheap interior panels and a general air of 'bargain basement' all around.
A few of my mates have worked in Brazil and yes, the things are absolutely everywhere. They are however, battered and knocked about, also they rust like buggery over there so would need plenty of rustproofing to stand any chance of survival here.
As has been said, they are cheap transport for the masses.

I imported a load of 15 window buses a few years ago over a period of a few years. In brazil, they are cheap family cars for the masses and I often found that the ones which came up for sale for genuine reasons were well cared for and often passed through the family.

I did see many 'creatively' repaired and if there was any sign of this I would stay well away.

The main differences were:
Side doors were off a barn door split with the top hinge higher up.
Rear tailgate was the early, narrow version which looks cool as most are 15 window buses.
I'm not aware that they made a samba in brazil. I have seen a few 15 window examples with samba roofs or other windows crudely stitched on the top, some of which are hilarious to see!

When I started, you could find good examples for £2000. In the end, they were asking £15,000! The change in the currency rates didn't help.

Ask your mate to look in the local classifieds and make sure that he knows what he's looking for. If you buy anything you unsure about or has anything unusual, leave it.

He will know a good example immediately.

I can honestly say that some of the buses I brought over were amazing quality and some looked like they just left the showroom. I owned a number of them and were a pleasure. I found that the climate in brazil(generally Sao Paolo area) was kind to buses that were taken care of.

A growing family meant that an early bay westy was the obvious option to fit the sprogs upstairs so here I am and loving it.

I will always prefer a little bit of luxury over kitsch or mediocrity. Brazilian busses lack that Je ne sais quoi, and are certainly not genuine German built quality. That’s why they were intended for the Brazilian market, not European. They are cheep and cheerful. We all know this; it’s not snobbery or opinion, just an objective fact. Ever wonder why they are not shipped back to Europe en mass (Other than by Danbury?) :?:

LV

Latest posts