Buddy my 1969 westy

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichardAlexander

Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
Westfalia
Well i got my bus home. being new to this i thought " i will do that bit will be this weekend that bit next weekend" ha how wrong i was. now i know you lot love piccies so i thought i would catalogue my DIY restoration. Fortunately he is rot free, genuinely, ok so the front floor pan has been replaced and the rear battery tray, but seriously he is in great condition underneath. i dont think there's is a panel that doesnt have a dent but i am in this for the long haul. so here are some piccies, first something nice
156.jpg

155.jpg
the mileage on the clock is the same as the book
154.jpg

153.jpg

and now some thing bad

160.jpg

159.jpg

080.jpg
Photo0032.jpg

170.jpg

176.jpg

resto already started, wanted to sort that roof first no point doing anything if he's going to leak like a sieve

162.jpg

163.jpg

161.jpg

077.jpg

079.jpg

all fixed and now painted lovely gloss white again new rubber on just waiting for the new canvas then it will go back on

right with the first bit of sunshine i decided to start the refurb in earnest, first job engine out and tank out to get rid of the treacle in the tank, check out the first picture it was completely full in there.
313.jpg

321.jpg

well thats the tank, fourtunately the rust is just surface and it cleaned up a beaut and after a whole week using the frost tank repair kit, acid wash, rust eater and tank sealer it in good condition and back in the bus, silly me forgot to take pictures oh well engine comming back out soon because of an oil leaks i will get pictures then.

i know there has been evidence of rats in the tank compartment but i needed to find the cause of all the smell of wee, i know the bus has been a hornets nest, but still couldn't find the smell so it was interior out time, and chance to find any hidden nasties under the flooring,

010.jpg

010.jpg

006.jpg

well it was full whether was a space rats had been living there especially above the westy wardrobe, so don the marigolds and scrub with bleach. the floor was a dream hardly any rust, and what was there was surface, after a good wire brushing and plenty of primer and waxoil for those hidden bits that could rust, the floor started to go back in. and a touch of insulation as well

018.jpg

017.jpg

016.jpg

well the interior is still out as i decided to refurb the other bit like the window first before putting all back in

DSCF0586.jpg

DSCF0587.jpg

DSCF0588.jpg

when i brought it the guy told me its all solid under there i had my doubts

DSCF0801.jpg

but true to what he said it was all good just a bitt of pitting and surface rust. i set to it armed with all the bits need to remove and prevent rust and voila

DSCF0804.jpg

Cant help thinking i am doing this all the wrong way round, as the windows will need to come out again when i get it resprayed. but i want to use it and the wife wont sleep in it till the interior is sorted and i can still use it with dented body work. and this needed doing before it got worse.

the rock and roll has recovered and once the windows in the interior can go back in sweet

Nice bus!!!!

What thickness ply floor did you use?
Does it go under the back seat too??

I ask as I think this is my job for this weekend coming!!

Also does ply need to be put on the bit above the engine??Or will that make the wardrobe sit too high, if you know what I mean???

Looks like you have a good project to work on there.

Good luck with the rest of it :mrgreen:

Lee C said:
Nice bus!!!!

What thickness ply floor did you use?
Does it go under the back seat too??

I ask as I think this is my job for this weekend coming!!

Also does ply need to be put on the bit above the engine??Or will that make the wardrobe sit too high, if you know what I mean???

Hi lee yeah all the way under the seat with the ply, i know my pic doesnt show that but it does go all the way back, needed to keep westy bed level. no need to do the bit above the engine, I used 6mm ply first to do all the little cuts around the floor brackets then laid over 3mm ply all wpa, then used tiny screws used for cabinet making to fix the 3mm to the 6 mm the I laid Lino tiles down over the whole thing then sealed the edges with clear silicone to stop water getting underneath

been a while so thought i would update some of the pics. i am truly bad a getting stuck in an forgetting to take pictures.

this didnt go well broke this screen then called the professionals to do it
DSCF0925.jpg

now for the seats
before
DSCF0926.jpg

DSCF0927.jpg

After
DSCF0928.jpg

DSCF0929.jpg

as you can see dash back in new door cards made by me
covering by D B Car trim black pool good quality

DSCF0930.jpg

not quite finished in the back yet so much original stuff to go back in before the summer, going to be a busy winter. oh yeah the wife did the covers cut from the original westy pattern
DSCF0932.jpg

DSCF0933.jpg

Latest posts