Burt is not right....

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BurtVW

Reaction score
On our way down the M5 today, Burt started kangerooing and backfiring, got home stalling continually and called out the RAC man...

Points and condensor look ok but he reckoned it could be the carb as it is running weak could be some muck...

We have got some rust around the neck of the fuel inlet, so that could be dropping muck in the tank

I assume that if that filters through to the carb that would cause those sort of probs

Any thoughts on solutions, I intend to get him into a garage otherwise next weekend could be a problem.

Again I assume that driving with a weak mixture or a fuel issue could overheat the engine... (and of course no fuel - no go !!!!) :(

You could always strip the carb down and have a look, if there is any crap in it just clean it and blow through the jets and air tubes to check for blockages. Leave the mixture screws as they are and dont disturb them, if you are lucky it might cure the fault :wink: .If you are careful when dismantling you may be able to re-use the top gasket until you can get a new one. It might also be possible that you have an in-line fuel filter somewhere? and that might be clogged up preventing the fuel getting to the carb??. If you dont have a fuel filter, it's a good idea to get one and stop the problem re-occurring. It should be possible to strip, clean and refit the carb in a couple of hours. :)

Sounds very similar to a prob i had on my old mk1 golf. The fuel filler pipe was rusting away behind the rear arch. The flakes of rust, water, stones and all manner of crap then accumulated in the fuel tank. This in turn blocked the end of the fuel pick up pipe in the bottom of the tank and the fuel filter causing fuel starvation and running lean. I eventually found the problem months later after carrying out two engine swaps. My old Scirocco was the same. I had to remove the fuel pipe from the inline filter, blow through it (just as well ive got good lungs) then stick the pipe back on and voilla! It would be alright for about 10 miles then do it all again.
God i must love vws!!!

My MK1 Clipper was the same. Must have blown through that fuel filter 30 times! I had the tank drained & the pick up modified. Was great after that.

Latest posts