Buyin a us bay but has no logbook to register to uk?!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bugcouple68

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm looking to buy a us bay that has already been imported in the uk so duties have been paid with proof! But the owner said that he doesn't have the us logbook and I wanted to know if you can still register it in the uk with just the birth certificate and dutie proof?! It's a 72 crossover so it should still be tax exempt as well?! Please help me!!

A receipt, import paperwork and a birth certificate should suffice. Expect an inspection though.

Thank you so much Clem I was starting worry alittle as I have never brought a import and when I heard he didn't have a logbook I panicked

logbook or perhaps it should be referred by the correct name of 'title'

I didn't think you could import without one these days? I would be wanting to understand why it hasn't got one. It could be stolen at worst....

dubdubz said:
logbook or perhaps it should be referred by the correct name of 'title'

I didn't think you could import without one these days? I would be wanting to understand why it hasn't got one. It could be stolen at worst....

If it was still in the US then Id be wary, but its in the UK. Its possible to get untitled vans out of the US, as its here now I wouldnt stress to much.

If its still in the USA then It WILL NOT be able to leave the Usa without a title , Ive had this exact conversation with a good friend over the weekend . In some states you dont need a tiltle to sell a car but in others YOU do . Ultimately USA Customs will inspect the vehicle before it leaves the usa .

NO title means no Usa export

That was my point...how has it managed to be exported. A lost title, as far as I'm aware can create possible issues around UK ,I also thought the shipping company scan the docs. Might be the wording? Doesn't have it cos he never had it is way different to I'm a plonker I lost it.......

I'm not going to say how and I've never done it myself but I know of a trader who exports buses out of Texas without a title and then applies for a Birth Certificate when they get here, not sure how he gets them through customs but its clearly possible!!

You can have a vehicle shipped from the states to the UK without a Title. US Customs will check the Vin#'s to make sure it is not stolen though. If there is an issue with the Vin#'s, it will not be released, thus not arriving in the UK. The engine also needs to be removed as it is coming over as a parts vehicle. Once in the UK, it's in your hands brothers, I've heard some different scenarios, the Birth Certificate being part of the process in getting a new UK Title.

Cheers

OK, not trying to rock the boat here but I have investigated this for myself and contacted the 2 major shipping companies that I use, CFR and DEI, I've had a response back overnight and this is what they have told me, (this is a direct lift off the email)

Hi Graham,
If these units are actual vw buses, we need original titles.

If these are parts, just parts, totally taken apart and it does not look like a vehicle, no, we will not need any titles.
But if it does look like a vw bus or potential restoration project, yes, US customs will require a title.

So whilst it may be possible the 2 shipping companies that I use will not even think about it if they are still complete buses, so its a no go as far as I'm concerned as I don't ship with anyone else,

Latest posts