cab bunk and wigglers

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slammedkustom

Reaction score
hi all. haven't been on here for blooming ages!

anyhoo got an issues with a cab bunk. ive just fitted a bluebird one to the bus as we have a new addition to the family!
bunk is great but the new bubba is a wiggler and the first thing she does when you pop her on it is make a break for the gap between the roof and the rear of the bus.
now I don't want the bubba falling out of the bunk cos she may dent the cooker and apparently your not allowed to tie them up. has anyone had this issue and any suggestions on how to solve it.

current thoughts are some kind of ping pong table net or cargo netting. so any suggestions welcome
cheers all
;)

that's the sort of thing I was looking at making or buying.
if I can find something like the sprung poles in the bluebird kit but slightly less heavy duty I reckon a ping pong style net could work. Im thinking netting rather than solid as I reckon if the wiggler can see me she wont try getting out the side sections or dash!
be a lot easier if I could use a dog cage but apparently babys aint pets! :shock:

Bit pricey that!! I reckon il be having this problem very soon so I'm interested in seeing what the best answer is. :D

Someone on here made a wooden cage thing that fitted down each side and across the front of it with a little door.

But remember the cab bunk sags so for a child to get out they are going to have to make an effort, it wont be them wriggling in their sleep. Obviously don't leave the windows wide open or they may slip out the ends :)

you've not seen my wiggler in action, I reckon she could scale a sheer wall if she put her mind to it.!

the canvas does dip a little but as she is only 17lb it doesn't dip that much, infact she seems to think its a trapoline!
I did think of having a new canvas made with more "slack" in it so as it dips even more and has a hammock effect

im gonna look into netting n see what I can muster up. something along the lines of army netting or plane cargo stuff.
got to make something lightweight too. the bus is slow enough with all the extra gear you have to drag with you. a wooden structure would be easy to make but its fitting it in and weight.

I think ill nip out and make some measurements will the little un naps

just become grandparent so will watch this space. my van has a curtain track directly above/behind the cab seats so there must be a roof reinforcement bar/strip under the head lining maybe screw in a coupla threaded plugs, painted of course to match you interior then you could screw in an eye bolt to hang the net off.

sort of like this
[photobucket] [/photobucket]

you can't beat a bit of engineering :lol:

thinking about it the strengthening bar runs just behind the interior lamp (its what supports it)

might work for others but ive got a suede headliner so don't think ill be drilling thru it!
would make a strong support for the upper section tho

slammedkustom said:
you've not seen my wiggler in action, I reckon she could scale a sheer wall if she put her mind to it.!

the canvas does dip a little but as she is only 17lb it doesn't dip that much, infact she seems to think its a trapoline!
I did think of having a new canvas made with more "slack" in it so as it dips even more and has a hammock effect

im gonna look into netting n see what I can muster up. something along the lines of army netting or plane cargo stuff.
got to make something lightweight too. the bus is slow enough with all the extra gear you have to drag with you. a wooden structure would be easy to make but its fitting it in and weight.

I think ill nip out and make some measurements will the little un naps

Same here - 11 months nearly, and anything like this would be like a challenge to him.

I have the same concerns though - middle of the night and "thud" kid's on the floor!

Would another rear pole, higher up than the lower one with material between the two be doable?

Harlequin said:
Velcro....barfly stylee....if spotted by CPS tell 'em the kiddie wants to be spiderman :mrgreen:

terry im probably already on various "lists"
you not got any suggestions? whats the webbing on the bottom of sofas called?

steve B mines 8mths next week and shes like a flipping bulldozer, she trys to go thru things rather than round them!
I think something like the westy mozzie nets for the tailgate would be ideal. had a look round garden centres this morning but nothing looked ideal.

Id love to get an extra springy pole and piggy back a piece off the main bunk and have it go above the seatbelt.
sleeping in a sleep suit does slow her down but its still a concern

slammedkustom said:
mines 8mths next week and shes like a flipping bulldozer, she trys to go thru things rather than round them!

Wonder where she gets that from Chris? :lol: :lol: , good to see you, Katie and Bubba at Volksworld.

I don't know what you mean, im as graceful as a butterfly

an rotund, hairy, fat fingered butterfly! :lol:
good to catch up with you too fella

anyway the missus just found this on amazon. we ordered some so will see what its like when it arrives :D
http://www.amazon.co.uk/W4-mosquito-Net-White-1x2m/dp/B0025YU3HE/ref=sr_1_cc_3?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1398851560&sr=1-3-catcorr&keywords=camping+fly+net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

still waiting for the mozzie mesh to turn up

damn you post on bank holidays!!! :shock: :lol:

Not being an expert on wiggling things or suchlike :shock: But what about if you used some lightweight garden netting and made it attach to one or two poles mounted centrally above or parallel to the bunk poles. If you made the netting fix to one pole then drape it over the bunk and back up to the other pole so that the bubba is actually laying on the netting, perhaps with a sheet or light matress over it so no matter what the bubba does, it can only get wound up by trying to get out. The pole or poles could have end brackets on to fit over the wind up windows so it`s only in use when required. Worse case scenario is a two year old makes a jump for freedom and ends up like a trussed up wart hog in a jungle type trap.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,, Perfect :mrgreen:

I've just ordered one of those sprung loaded shower curtain pole thingy Majigs, (£10 on eBay) I've also ordered some mosquito mesh, I'm going to get the mother in law to sew A loop in the mesh for the pole to feed through and fix the pole above the seat belts with the mesh laying onto the bunk (as suggested) then the bedding on top. Il take some pictures when it's all done.

the mesh turned up yesterday. got to say its really good stuff. well worth buying oddly enough it was a tenner for 1metre by 1 metre but £6-31 for 1x2m?

been having a look today. Im looking at making basically a see thru curtain at the back end using the mesh. just working out the fixings in my head before the drill comes out!
Bigbear I did think of using a sprung curtain rail but ive not seen one that isn't a bit too bendy. also i was gonna sew the "rear curtain" to the bunk material . I might even make a curtain for the front above the dash

slammedkustom said:
the mesh turned up yesterday. got to say its really good stuff. well worth buying oddly enough it was a tenner for 1metre by 1 metre but £6-31 for 1x2m?

been having a look today. Im looking at making basically a see thru curtain at the back end using the mesh. just working out the fixings in my head before the drill comes out!
Bigbear I did think of using a sprung curtain rail but ive not seen one that isn't a bit too bendy. also i was gonna sew the "rear curtain" to the bunk material . I might even make a curtain for the front above the dash

If you get a longer spring poll but don't extend it fully it should be stronger, plus the rod I've ordered has rubber stops on each end, if you extend the pole slightly longer than necessary then force it into position it should hold quite well. (Hopefully) :D

Latest posts