California White 69 Westy

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jay dee 101

Reaction score
I've recently bought a 1969 California White Westy of Jon (faux). Totally sorted bus and a real credit to the work Jon has put into it to get it to this stage. Hopefully over the coming years I'll continue to do it justice. This is a well known bus so I'll be making a few changes along the way to make it my own ;-)

I'll start the chapter of my ownership with a picture of the me and Jon (I'm on the right, dodgy picture!!!) once we had struck a deal on a wet and windy day in the middle of Feb.........

Jon then delivered the her to Dubfreeze where I was showing my ghia

I neded to sell the Karmann to make room in the garage to bring her home, so she went off to a mates lock up for a while.......

Sold the Karmann earlier this week and my mate was bringing her home to me but we ran into some issues :( :( :(

Engine started fine after sitting in the lock up for a month but then decided to dump all the oil......Really glad my mate spotted it then rather than driving it and cooking the engine.

The hope is that it's the oil cooler.

So I arranged to have her transported back to me with the RAC

Then tucked her up in the garage :D

I hope it is something simple. It has been a strong engine for me and I've have travelled a fair few miles together. I hope it is sorted for VoWo.
Jon

Looking very nice. The headlight looks like it's raising it's eyebrow. :lol:
What colour White is this by the way?

At least while I've got her home I can start to play.............. 8)

Number flate frames and license topper

Then cleaned up the side window.....

Don't think these jobs are going to get her back o nthe road though ;)

I'm not sure of the origonal colour, it has had a respray at some stage in the past - i'd gues at ivory.....

Second trip on a low loader, this time off to see Stef and Mike at Air Cooled Engineering near Birmingham to have a look at the engine.

Turned out to be a split oil cooler, and replaced the releif spring - Really glad to have her back home :D :D :D :D :D

Tried a 10 mile first drive on Wednesday, packed her up on the Thursday night and travelled 220 miles to Volksworld on the Friday with no issues :D :D I think you can tell by the smile on my face.......beer and scotch eggs, a bit of a volksworld tradition between me and a few mates ;)

It was really good to have her in the Earlybay line up on Saturday - thanks guys.......

Now that I have got her home, I can start to add some of the parts I've collected over the last few weeks -

Front door rubbers
Sliding door rubber
NOS head lights
NOS yellow head light lenses
Flat 4 Sprintstars

Just changing the look a little ;)

Fitted a set of flat 4 sprintstars and a set of nos headlights with nos yellow hella lenses :D

Does anyone have any tips for taking the back wheels off? I struggled and had to deflate them to have any chance..........

I hope you all like the new look.......

Looking sweet and its always great to put your own touches to a new bus.

As for the rear wheels being difficult to remove to get mine off I take the rear shock bolt out so it drops the wheel low enough to remove

I'll have to try removing the shock bolt as it was really tight trying to remove them.......cheers

Nice touches making it your own - im sure jon will be pleased its getting looked after 8)

Thanks for the comments, Jon had done a great deal to this bus to a very high standard :)

On 23rd April the bus was 45 years old so I thought a little present was in order. I bought some rear jail bars, then spent the next week or so feeling guilty about drilling holes to fit them :?

Managed to fit them yesterday, I'm happy with how they look but I think it will be a long time till I think about drilling any more holes!

Anyway, I like the way they look -

Latest posts