Calling all slam tyre folks (165/50) - tyres running flat??

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamski

Reaction score
I have slam tyres on the front, and they have both gone flat, is this a common problem, as it seems like a coincidence?

They both seem to be slow punctures.

might be worth asking on the splitscreen van forum aswell?

Unlucky if both fronts have punctures, would think it more likely to be leaking around the bead.
What rims are you running? Are they suitable for tubeless tyres? Presume no tubes used, not recomended on a 50 series tyre! Lots of poor roads/kerbing can cause problems with such a low profile tyre. Most likely cause in my opinion is a build up of rust/corrosion on the bead of the rim giving an uneven surface so the tyre cannot seal 100%. Very common on old rims, both steel and ally. A trip to the local tyre centre should have that sorted no problem. And I know I am a pedantic, fussy old sod, but I do hate this oh so commonly used term 'slam tyres', it is not a tyre size! :wink:

What rims are you running? are they second hand?, is this the first set of tires you've had on these rims?

Could be several thing as posted earlier rim bead isn't sealing, valve not sealing, cracked or holed alloy wheels, or just 2 punctures.

Hi all,

Thanks for your comments, I'm running repro centerlines. I'll pop down the tyreshop and get them to put the wheels in there puncture tub (to see any airleaks).

web.jpg

Am sure that will get it sorted easily, my money's still on the bead leak! Won't always show up in the tank, usually needs soapy water poured onto the bead and patience waiting for tiny bubbles! By the way, very, very nice bus fella!

Thats a much better idea, I'll go with the soapy water trick! thanks

Hi!

Are those wheels split rims? If so, could be leaking around the bead where both halves are bolted together?

Damn nice bus by the way, loving the big un littles!

Alistair

finally off to the local tyre centre today! Also just noticed one of the rims has been curbed slightly. dam dam and double dam! out with the dremel sander and polish me thinks.

I did run this size on the van originally and it was ok, I have seen new alloys leaking :shock: , so if its not the tyres check the alloys

Latest posts