Camper dives to the right when breakinf - advice

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BamberJim

Reaction score
Never simple is it...!! right here goes, when you touch the breaks the bus makes a sudden dive to the right (LHD Bus) but then brakes true and straight (no pulling either side), have had the brakes checked on MOT rollers and have been advised that they are above mot standard and equal breaking?
bus is lowered and narrowed and is a 71 (disc brakes). has anyone else experienced this? any advice would be glady recieved as i and the mechanic are stuck on what is causing this. One of the shocks was loose on the top bolt, but have tightened it up and still have the same problem. i think it is something to do with the weight transfering to the front when you brake, but can,t seem to work out what it is

An MOT brake tester only rolls at 4 miles an hour. I would pull the pads out & check the pistons are not sticky. Check the disc isn't warped (not a common problem on a bus)
Check other suspension components for play too.

Probably have a rusty caliper, have you tried doing some cheeky emergency stops? this may free it if it is.

If you leave the van for a while without being driven thewn this maybe a reason aswell. :D

Got new flexihoses today and should be fitted tomorrow, has low profiles on but will also check the tyre pressures. and then i gonna tie everything down, find a huge car park and do some emergency stops. see what happens. the calipers have been off and pistons are moving ok, but how do tell if they are sticky? if braking slowly there is no pulling at all.. will let you know how i get on tomorrow

cheers for the input

Jim

bus004.jpg

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, spent the weekend making a fool of myself in Brighton... My stag do, and have just about recovered enough to type anything. anyway the problem is sorted, flexihose's and hard pipes changed although i really had to push the Mechanic into it as he thought it was a waste of time, then when he bought it back to me and told me it was still not fixed, i was gutted.. got in the next day and hey presto.... the brakes are fine, no pulling at all. don't know why he could just not admit that i was right, well the people on the forums where right. happy man. Next time it the first place to start as he had the caliper on and off 3 times, even the MOT brake rollers said the brakes where fine. Thanks for all the help

jim :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks for letting us know.

Old flexi pipes tend to rust on the inside of the metal collars where the rubber is attached. The rust swells up and compresses the rubber restricting the flow of fluid. Hence the brakes work but it takes longer for the fluid to get into the caliper than it should.

Then if you replace the flexi on one sid only you get snatch. Thats why they have to be replaced in pairs normally.

Latest posts