Camping heat, gas or diesel????

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KevinR

Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
1971 T2 Dormobile
As we like to use our van early and late in the season and as much as possible, we are going to fit / have fitted heating over the winter. Despite everyone seemingly advising to fit a diesel heater and most say Chinese are ok and value. Two things I can’t get my head to come to terms with - 1) China and 2) the thought of having a tank of diesel in our living space. I am thinking of paying more and having a Propex connected running off our gas bottle. As we use her as much as we can, the best solution trumps saving (unless monstrous difference!) - Help !?

PS yes we have thick duvet, blankets, hot water bottles and socks etc etc !

I used to have a Propex under the Westy bed in the old bus, gas connection to the cooker unit behind the driver's seat. It was nice and warm, but very noisy.
As I've made the decision not to have gas in the deluxe, I've now gone to a Chinese 2kW diesel heater under the cab seat, which is physically smaller and much quieter. I didn't want a diesel tank inside the "living area" either, so have had a custom 5l tank made to fit in the engine bay under the spare wheel well.

I gone same way with Chinese diesel heater 4kw as 2kw was hard to get. Added a tank inside my kitchen cupboard “since upgraded to stainless steal version” no diesel smells at all. heater in the lower cupboard space as well. I used a turret plate as felt it helped keep things safe. Been running near 3 years with only a sensor fault in that time.

Attachments

• IMG_7961.png
    IMG_7961.png
    5.4 MB
  • IMG_7962.png
    IMG_7962.png
    6.5 MB
I used to have a Propex under the Westy bed in the old bus, gas connection to the cooker unit behind the driver's seat. It was nice and warm, but very noisy.
As I've made the decision not to have gas in the deluxe, I've now gone to a Chinese 2kW diesel heater under the cab seat, which is physically smaller and much quieter. I didn't want a diesel tank inside the "living area" either, so have had a custom 5l tank made to fit in the engine bay under the spare wheel well.
Thanks for the reply. Did you have to modify the cab seat or is there enough room under it as is? That sounds interesting, had never thought of that. Unfortunately I have our leisure battery in the engine bay below the wheel well, I will have to look at other locations, who do you get to make a tank??

I gone same way with Chinese diesel heater 4kw as 2kw was hard to get. Added a tank inside my kitchen cupboard “since upgraded to stainless steal version” no diesel smells at all. heater in the lower cupboard space as well. I used a turret plate as felt it helped keep things safe. Been running near 3 years with only a sensor fault in that time.
Yes I am looking for tucked away locations, as ever space is a premium, glad to hear no Diesel smells if we go that route.

Thanks for the reply. Did you have to modify the cab seat or is there enough room under it as is? That sounds interesting, had never thought of that. Unfortunately I have our leisure battery in the engine bay below the wheel well, I will have to look at other locations, who do you get to make a tank??
Have a look at the neptune blue deluxe gallery thread in my signature.
In the end I went for a company in Norfolk to make it, got let down by people in the "scene".

Attachments

• IMG_5416.jpeg
    IMG_5416.jpeg
    2.2 MB
  • IMG_5418.jpeg
    IMG_5418.jpeg
    3.2 MB
  • IMG_5450.jpeg
    IMG_5450.jpeg
    1.9 MB
  • IMG_5451.jpeg
    IMG_5451.jpeg
    1.8 MB
  • IMG_5453.jpeg
    IMG_5453.jpeg
    1.7 MB
  • IMG_5454.jpeg
    IMG_5454.jpeg
    1.9 MB
I was lucky enough to get hold of an eberspacher b1lc, the b = benzine ( petrol), it's quite compact and sits under the passenger seat. Petrol via a t from the tank to engine fuel line.
Been running it for years and it's been great.
Pg

I've got a Propex which I fitted around 15years ago, barely ever use it, when we camp early in the season as we did Easter this year when we had snow, I booked electric hook-up and used a small oil filled radiator that is silent and did the job perfectly, Can count on one hand the number of times I've put the propex on over the years. If I was building my interior again it would be another thing that I wouldn't bother with in all honesty. As Wig said the fan is noisy but they do kick the heat out very quickly, and if you have a gas bottle for cooking then it makes sense to utilise it in my mind.

Latest posts