Camshaft issue?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ginga

Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
ex westy
Parked the van up in October, I've moved it around and driven it occasionally but sorting bodywork out so not moved much. Last couple of times i started it i noticed it was back firing on lhs through carb (twin 34s on a 1776). Reset valve clearances but no improvement, I then tried turning engine over by hand whilst watching rocker arms. The inner valve on no 3 doesn't move but it is the pushrod not moving rather than a stuck valve. Although could a stuck valve then cause a broken cam lobe?

Am I right in thinking this is the inlet valve and that it can only really be the lifter or cam lobe? all other valves on that side work fine. Pushrod seems fine.

Cheers for any help.

No it is a few years old, bought 2nd hand about 4 years ago and run trouble free since then, of uncertain history shall we say which leads me to believe it needs a full rebuild.

If the cam and followers were not burned in correctly you can wear the lobe away,normally happens within 1000 miles.no3 is normaly the one thats effected.

The backfire is only on lhs, didn't check no 1 actually so i ll do it tomorrow, other than backfire engine sounds good. I ve been round europe a few times in it now so we can safely say its not new.

is that still splitting the case job?

Really appreciate the help, i ll have a good look tomorrow at no 1 but doesn't look like its going anywhere for awhile!

Latest posts