Can you run different profile tyres

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monkeyvanwestybike

Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
After 1972
Van Type
79 sunroof deluxe
Hi Guys
I am sure there are people that do
I have changed to 15 inch rims from 14 inch rims
can you have a lower front profile tyre on the front ?
only I used an online tyre calculator and it said you cant do this or you will damage your vehicle if you do! :shock:
so I got the nearest tyre size to the original ....... and problems :?

I run different profiles front to rear and have done thousands of miles without a single issue
All the way to SPA twice, down through Europe to the Black forest in Germany and back again
Literally thousands of miles on very varied road surfaces

Rear profile

Front profile

There is a "slight" difference in thickness

thanks stuf
you can see whats occuring its ok on rear but tight on front
should I change fronts or lift it all up a bit :?

having a lower profile front with less width must also make the steering lighter also? :)

It would perhaps damage a 4wd vehicle but defiantly not a camper.
It will however prevent your speedometer reading the correct speed so bare that in mind, luckily the smaller the tyre the faster the speedo will read.

I also run different profile, speedo is an issue as its approx 10% out but this will vary depending on the tyre size. Main benefit is you can kid yourself you can actually reach 65 mph !

Yes, again nor problems and probably done 70 or 80 thousand miles over two busses over 12 years and never had an issue.

I run 205/70/15 on the rear

175/55/15 on the front

spare is a bit of a pain and somewhere between the two.

10401424_10155128332245444_2530593243840703783_n.jpg

Just be careful with your load ratings. The rear of a bus, especially a fully loaded camper is quite heavy! ;)

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Does anyone run the same front and rear tyres once they lowered their van? :? :mrgreen:

As long as the tyre sizes are the same on opposing sides, then differences front to rear are fine. Smart cars come from factory with this set up, to name one.

Clem said:
Does anyone run the same front and rear tyres once they lowered their van? :? :mrgreen:

As long as the tyre sizes are the same on opposing sides, then differences front to rear are fine. Smart cars come from factory with this set up, to name one.
I had a chopper bike :)

Just make sure that you use van tyres and not car tyres and all will be well :mrgreen:

Latest posts