Can't get the Small Spring back on my front cab door handle

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fozworth

Reaction score
I had a go at taking the lock barrels out of my cab door handles to play with the wafers and see if I could get the key working .Ive managed to pretty much sort it with removing one of the wafers as I didn't have spare sizes at hand .The problem I have is one of the handles had a spring that sat between the back of the barrel and was held in place with a screw and the lever spindle thing that turns side to side when you turn the key. No matter how I try and put the spring in it just sits lop sided and doesn't seem to be under load .do you need the spring as the other handle didn't have one ?

Assuming you are talking about the spring in the handle then yes it is needed it returns the barrel to the neutral position. Ideally you want them on both your locks. You want to put one of the ends in position first then use a small flat screw driver to move the other end into position before putting the spindle and screws back on top.

Hi fozworth, I have a spare spring if you need one, I'm working in tetbury mon/tues if you need it.

One of my spindles is different from the other ,I'll try n post a pic in a bit.the one that had a spring is made by witte but says VW ,the other just says VW .The spring doesn't seem to slot in any where .if I place it on top of the barrel it won't sit flat and forces the spindle to sit at an angle plus the spring doesn't give the spindle any cause to feel loaded so as to spring back.
I just wondered if until I get some better handles will the locks work even if you have to manually turn the key back to neutral position .?

Yes that's what I thought you were talking about.

I am struggling to describe the method but I will do what I can so bare with me.

The main body of the spring should sit I the gap between the square end of the barrel lock and the main body of the handle and not actually come in contact with the L shape that sits on top.
Have the 2 little tabs on the Spring face away from the length of the handle and pull them round to the gap in the handle to put the Spring under load. The screw the L shape back on top.

Sorry I can't describe it much better, wish I had taken pics of mine only did them last week but refitted now.

I think I might have the wrong spring as if I hook one side on to the front opening edge and try and unwind the other end around to hook onto the opposite edge the spring becomes to big and there is no way I can coil it the other way tighter ?

Latest posts