Can't MOT U.S. import 67 bay as don't have date first reg'd!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Veryvw

Reaction score
Hi guys hope you can help,

I bought a sweet original paint Neptune blue 67/8 delux this year and it's now ready to MOT. Booked the MOT and the tester asked me the date of first registration. I looked on the California certificate of title which just said 1968 but he was unable to even start the MOT without inputting the full date into the system.

I got home and checked through all of the paperwork, but it's not listed anywhere.

I've applied online to the Wolfsburg museum and paid to have a birth certificate along with the data sheet 75Euros, but this can take up to 4 months to arrive (They must be hand carving it into stone :oops: )

Anyway, can anyone tell me if these documents will give me the date of first reg & or if there's a quicker way to get this info?

Thanks for any help
Rob

Surely the worst case, from a requirements point of view, would be to put it into the computer as being on the last day of 1968?

Therefore anything that is a requirement that changed half way through the year would be tested on your bus - I can't think of anything that changed then off the top of my head. :)

The tester is wrong. You can't have a date of UK registration until it's had one mot at least, what he needs is a build date which can be got from Wolfsburg or VW UK. In the meantime the date of build will be on the m plate, if you get that then it should suffice, if you need a dating letter then I can do you one . :)

monkiboy said:
well you can get the "Build-Date" from the chassis No but I guess you need a "Reg-Date" :? :)

If you don't have the build date, find it here ...

http://www.vw-mplate.com/mcode.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I would use that for the registration date.

Just make a date up in the right year thats what I always do, he is right when MOTing an import for the first time it asks for date of first use or something like that,

Tell the MOT tester to enter the chassis number 3 times it should then over ride the system and should then be able to do the test for you no problem at all

Hi Guys

Thanks for all the replies with suggestions of what I need to do.

I have used the m-plate decoder and it states the PPD as 27th March 68! Is this the correct date to use for the MOT!

Could the actual build date be earlier than this, if so what's the biggest variance?

Thanks

Veryvw said:
Hi Guys

Thanks for all the replies with suggestions of what I need to do.

I have used the m-plate decoder and it states the PPD as 27th March 68! Is this the correct date to use for the MOT!

Could the actual build date be earlier than this, if so what's the biggest variance?

Thanks

Just use that date for the MOT. It's only an approximate date for most people as mentioned. On mine the V5 says 1/1/70 although it was built in Oct 1969.

Ok thanks :)

Also I saw a link to see how to interpret my m-plate but can't find it now I'm looking for it

I'f anyone can direct me or interpret mine in my last comment that would be great!

Cheers

I'll be MOTing my 72 very shortly and was planning on using the M Plate date which is 22 Jun 1972. Just hoping I get it tax exempt. I was hoping I don't need a Birth Certificate. I've got the US Title.

Do you guys think I will be OK too?

Cheers

Kev946 said:
I'll be MOTing my 72 very shortly and was planning on using the M Plate date which is 22 Jun 1972. Just hoping I get it tax exempt. I was hoping I don't need a Birth Certificate. I've got the US Title.

Cheers

As long as you have a us title doc then you don't need a birth certificate to register the vehicle, you'll be fine.

Graham L said:
Kev946 said:

Cheers

As long as you have a us title doc then you don't need a birth certificate to register the vehicle, you'll be fine.

Thanks Graham

Latest posts