Carb balancing....

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluelighttaxidriver

Reaction score
Fitted a set of used kadrons this week. Half a day later, & still not happy with the balance...
anybody in the south east Cornwall/Plymouth region with a carb balancer that I could borrow for a few hours...? Also, any tips on accessing the mixture screw on the left carb, as it's obstructed by the fan housing...
Cheers. Steve.
07590 605509

The access for the mixture screw on the Kadrons is about having the correct screw driver. I think you may need to invest in a airflow meter if you are gonna run those Kads. Once you have dual carbs and the tools for tweeking them its hard to go back to stock. Besides VW engines love dual carbs. Once you get those things set up you will be stoked.

Even with them in the right region for adjustment, the sound & response is stunning...! :) Total perfectionist, so won't be happy till they're spot on..!
Will order a meter & flexible driver tomorrow. Best thing I ever fitted though... :)

Nice.... :) Did a google on it last night. Some interesting threads online about using the link pipe between the two manifolds... I'm not at the moment, but sounds like I should for smoother running. Any opinions or reasons...?

Well, i did a tune up on my Kadron's by following the steps on Lowbugget.com

It seems to go ok, It goes 10 km per liter gasoline, and top speed is 124 km/t (with a 3 rib gearbox, std wheels, measured on gps). Its a 1776 engine.

My setup has the balancer hose (link pipe) between the carbs, and it works fine. As i understand it, it help outlining the differences between the carbs.

I do have 3 different synchronizations tools (airflow meters), but none of them fits on the carbs top, due to the holders for the air filter(even with the holders off, the top is not flat.

The only part i will change is the linkage as it seems to sit a bit loose on the carbs, and there should be other sets out there with better adjustments (not the one Lowbugget sell)

Lowbugget talks about adding vacuum to the carbs and use a distributor with vacuum...Does anyone have experiences about that?

R.

Every forum or site I've looked at says they work best with a vacuum distributor. The left hand carb on mine has a small pipe coming out, to connect to the svda. Have mine connected. Got some fuel pipe today, to use as balance pipe. Won't get a chance to try it till at least Wednesday... From looking at pics, think mine is the empi linkage. Will see how it goes. Lowbugget one will have to wait a few paydays.... :)

I just have to cringe when people say low budget cause thats what that place is. I have no doubt ther AJ knows his way around Kadrons. But when I got mine back after a longg wait they were only half done and had to go back as they had charged me for the complete treatment. After some more waiting I put the carbs on and after running the initial 20 mins for breakin they would not idle as there was so much metal shaving and debris in them they could not be adjusted. Its not the thing you want to find on your brand spankin new 2 litre. It eventually got sorted but no thanks to AJ and his monkeys.
Now I have used the Kadron style linkage and Its simple and I like it and I have a Gene Berg linkage that in hindsight. I could live without, but it sure is bitchen. I prefer the likage that uses the stock throttle cable without cutting the tip off.
For adjustments I like this screwdriver. Its the right length and the handle is small enough to get the wonky angle you need.
I don`t think it is etched in stone that you must have the balance tube but I run one. I use a Vanagon crossover tube that has been bent and shortened for a bus as it is the right size for the carb nipples and gives me a nipple for my brake booster. Sorry no pic as they are both installed.

Stuffshots003_resize_resize.jpg

Charliepics056_resize.jpg

Hey. I'm kind of agreeing with you now. Been having issues with running smooth, (jet issues, another thread on here). Mailed lowbugget five times now, no response whatever. Given up on them. Got good advice, & a set of jets coming off Gowerandlee.co.uk here in England.
And my empi linkage works great...!

Mind you I am only a few years away from a stock carb. But since going duals there is one other tool besides a AFmeter that you may want to look into and that is a set of jet-reams. Also I have found that motorcycle shops have a good selection of jets too. Mikuni and Solex use a lot of like jets. I was stuck once and a cycle shop in Arkansas learnt me that one.

Latest posts