Carb Issues... Or User Error???

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr1ncognit0

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I am pretty new to VW, mechanics and have just purchased a gorgeous bus!! :) I am keen to learn and not afraid to tinker.... basic mechanical knowledge attached.

I have removed the old mechanical fuel pump and installed the attached pump and renewed all the fuel lines as they were perished...

IMG_2092.jpg

The pump works well on the ignition and I have put an isolator switch on it. It is pumping fuel no problem, and did into a bucket before closing the loop into the carb.

Carb pictured:

IMG_2093.jpg

My Dad was round last weekend trying to sort it and he squirted fuel into the top of the carb and we got it to fire up for a second or 2 and it ran great.... then stopped!

I have tried to blow through the pipe into the carb and there is nothing getting into the carb, I have taken out the filter from the inlet of the carb and cleaned that.....

As you will have all experienced there is hardly any room around the carb to work or take it off

I would be most grateful if there is anyone who can provide any nuggets of wisdom for me.

Thanks in advance!

Steve

looks like an aftermarket Webber conversion.
there is a valve on a float that shuts off fuel when the chamber is full sounds like it has stuck.
it might free up with a little tap with a spanner but best to take the carb off and clean the valve and jets.
if you take off the filter and look down the carb you should see a jet of fuel spray out when the throttle opens if it doing that you have fuel but might have a blocked jet.

Yep, sounds like a blocked needle valve. As above, take the carb off and replace with a rebuild kit (eurocarb.com) as it could be gunked up so for reliability just replace.

That pump will be putting out over 6psi so you may want a pressure regulator put in between it an the carb.

I also fitted an inertia cut off switch from a rover to cut power to the pump and fuel line solenoid in case of a bump.

Sent from my GX64 SatCom phone using Tapatalk

Toad said:
My nugget of wisdom is...fit a standard carb (and air filter) and fuel pump....(but you probably didnt want that nugget! lol) :D

This nugget is particularly interesting as I bought the bus with the electric fuel pump in a box ready to fit and the weber fitted already ... I did wonder what the benefits were??

The seller said something about fuel soaking into the original carbs and causing fires .... ?

Also I am concerned that there is no regulator and the pump will be pushing 6psi rather than the 3psi required apart from fuel consumption what are the downsides?

Cheers guys!

(Finally a forum with no trolls!!!)

The downsides of no regulator could be blowing your needle valve in the carb, float chambers over filling into your barrels with fuel and ruining your engine eventually . Also dripping outside the carb onto a hot engine.
Fit a regulator, they're not expensive. My std pump did that /\ to me as it was pumping 5-6 psi luckily I noticed it quickly.

Toad said:
My nugget of wisdom is...fit a standard carb (and air filter) and fuel pump....(but you probably didnt want that nugget! lol) :D

This^^^ with a fuel cut off solenoid tucked away out of site.

Rich

jonboylaw said:
Or buy a quality Huco pump :)

y6ysy7en.jpg

And don't forget the inertia cutoff switch:

hu7usu7u.jpg

Sent from my GX64 SatCom phone using Tapatalk

Sorry for a thread Hijack

Hi Jon

I really would consider moving the location of your external oil filter to below the tinware and out of the cool zone of the engine and into air flow under the van, this will help two fold, a) gets the filter in the air under the van so when travelling it will get a cooling effect on its surface and B) it will keep the filter out of the cool zone as it will be radiating heat in an area you want to try and remove heat from.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Alex

Hi there, firstly thanks to all that replied.

I have now got the carb off and it was really gunked up, the floats were well and truly stuck!

I am going to post a full photo guide for other users once I have mine sorted.

The only problem I now have is the main gasket needs replacing and I can't find where to get one?
Any pointers?

image.jpg

Thanks in advance!

Steve

Mornin all,,, Sounds like you are on the right track with the floats and needles etc, Eurocarb are pretty much the biz for smacking into the post nice and quick for you. I`d always do the odd thing here and try and follow the previous mechanic / owner and their thought process and their attempts to fix this bus, mainly because of the non stock items that came with the bus. If the carb was gunked up, did they think it was short on fuel pressure hence the new pump ready to go on ?? Did they try the pump and not get anywhere ?? So put it back in the box :roll: Did the needle valve get stuck in the open position because it`s ``Gunked Up ' ' ?? New carb, New pump, still no worky :?
Any how, if it`s gunked up and you`ve cleaned it out, that`s well on the way to winnning 8) Might want to trace further back though and check the tank for gunk as well, seeing as you`ve done the pipes ,, filter ??

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Just thoughts :mrgreen: ;) :mrgreen:

Only take the tank out if you got to. Otherwise wait until you got the motor out for something else,, then give it a once over in the flesh. Has you got plenty of free flow from the tank with just gravity ? However, if there is crap in the tank, it is possible that it moves around a bit as you are bouncing along. Worth a look I reckon, but only if you are at a dead end or got the motor out for something else :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Might be full of treasure :shock: :lol: :lol:

As it happens I will be taking the motor out….. Got carb running sweet and got her to start…. then I think she picked a ring up or something as sounds seized now…. :(

Hoping not too much damage!… might take the tank out now!

Latest posts