Changing steering wheels

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi,
I was dreading taking the steering wheel off as I thought it was going to be a nightmare but it was actually pretty easy.
I made sure the wheel was straight and true with the front wheels straight ahead, then I popped off the horn push and loosened up the nut holding it on and unscrewed it nearly all the way off (don't take it right off unless you want to bust your nose when the wheel comes loose :lol: )
Then I sprayed some penetrating fluid on the spline and had a brew, then the fun bit, stand on the floor with your legs under the wheel each side (if that makes sense) and then hands on the wheel pull up and push down wiggle etc and all being well it should pop off.
If it doesn't budge I remember searching and found a video on you tube where they wrap the column in a towel and pour boiling water down on the splines......hope you don't have to go down this route.

fingers crossed for you..............kev :D

It will either be a doddle or a complete arse, my last bus it came off without too much effort. My current bus was a sod, ended up having to buy that special c shaped metal plate that slides under the wheel and use pullers to budge it, it didn't half go with a bang once it finally let go!!!!

Thanks for the advice, will keep it in mind for when I finally recieve the steering wheel. Just found out it's going to be 4-6 weeks, no mention of things being made to order or length of wait on the website so a bit hacked off

Well after 2 months the steering wheel arrived! Old one came off surprisingly easy but good tip about keeping the nut on otherwise would probably of hit myself in the face.

Well after 2 months the steering wheel arrived! Old one came off surprisingly easy but good tip about keeping the nut on otherwise would probably of hit myself in the face.

Latest posts