Changing Tyre Sizes

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scamperbus

Reaction score
Got an advisory at the recent MOT that one of my rear tyres is getting very near the legal limit which has led me to thinking about the tyres on my bus in general.

Currently it's dropped 2 splines at the rear and is down at the front on Creative Adjusters - low but not slammed. I have 15" 356 style rims.

Would replacing the 195/65s I have at the rear with 185/65s make the wheels much easier to get off? The sidewalls are pretty close to the rear arches (2 or 3mm) at the moment but if there's not much in it I'd prefer to keep with 195/65s as the overall wheel circumference is closer to original 14" wheels and therefore, I imagine works better for the engine and gearbox than 185/65s.

Also on the front I'm running 195/50s. From reading the various tyre and stance theads 175/55 seems to be a popular choice. Am I right in thinking these would give me a lower profile? I figure narrower means lighter steering?

The ride quality of my bus isn't too bad on most roads, but would increasing the sidewall height improve the comfort or do you need to go for extra width too? I have to deal with a lot of speed bumps so I'm thinking a bit more air between me and the road would help plus I reckon my speedo is about 15% out at the moment so bigger tyres would mean an improvement there too.

Obviously an increase in diameter is going to raise the front of the bus, I'd like to avoid that but I don't think a cm or 2 would be that noticable. Would something like 175/65 on the fronts look weird? Does anyone run these?

Sorry for all the questions, I've baffled myself by reading so much about tyres. I didn't know they were such a minefield :eek:

Latest posts