Cheap Fuel Pump relays anyone???

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gütterßnipe

Reaction score
I need to fit a fuel pump relay for my electric pump so it only operates when the engine is fired up/running and not just when ignition is switched on?

Heritage are asking £60 for one which I feel is a little steep.....

Has anyone used a motor factors or eBay and found the same for cheaper?

Thanks

Spence

http://www.volkszone.com/VZi/showthread.php?t=1042426&highlight=fuel+pump+relay" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Check this out, there is a diagram along with a £3 relay.

Darius

The relay that 'radish' suggest's will do the job . I fitted one to my KG to fuel my Weber IDF's and have never had any problem.
Robert

£60?! :shock: fuck that! I've got a £5 kill switch on the dash board.

my relay was i think £4, i have wired my pump through my oil pressure switch so if the engine cuts out the pump stops.

Sorry bus72 but that is not the correct way to connect relay,by taking live feed from oil pressure switch you could be overloading fuse at fuse box. As the battery is in engine compartment wire 4 pin relay as so :- mount relay on bulkhead. 87 to pump, 86 to live feed from coil when ignition is switched on,30 live feed from battery with inline fuse and 85 to earth . This way pump operates with ignition on but off when ignition is switched off.
Robert
:!: :)

That's how I wired mine in and sourced mine from my local auto electric place for a few quid. Really easy job.

Thanks for all the replies!

This one looks like it may work and has a harness/wiring too.....

I'm just a little unsure as to what wires would attach to where based upon
the photos in the description?

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=400292899718" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

5 PIN 12V 40A Automotive Changeover RELAY including WIRING LOOM

For £40 I'd want it fitted ,complete vehicle wash inside and out side and dinner at local cafe.!!!! It's just a standard relay for goodness sake. If you want to pay that price it's your money.
Robert
:? :lol: :D

dustrat said:
Sorry bus72 but that is not the correct way to connect relay,by taking live feed from oil pressure switch you could be overloading fuse at fuse box. As the battery is in engine compartment wire 4 pin relay as so :- mount relay on bulkhead. 87 to pump, 86 to live feed from coil when ignition is switched on,30 live feed from battery with inline fuse and 85 to earth . This way pump operates with ignition on but off when ignition is switched off.
Robert
:!: :)
thanks for the lesson in electrics. i never said that you would use a standard relay, in order to wire your fuel pump
to an oil pressure switch witch is the way i did mine you will need a crossover relay you can get one from most decent
auto electrical outlets.
also i should tell you that if you were to wire your pump as you said and you were to have an accident and found yourself
unable to turn your ignition off then that pump is going to be running NOT GOOD.

if you wire as i did through my oil pressure switch when the engine dies so does the pump. of course you can wire the pump
any way you want its your van after all. was only trying to help.

Some times you have to bite the bullet and admit that someone has a better idea than yourselve. I said take the live feed from coil to activate relay but bus72 said take it from oil pressure switch, Well in retrospeck after much thought his idea is a better idea for saftey sake. The only minor problem is if you run out of fuel the pump wont work by turning engine over until oil pressure is up. Problem easily solved by connecting feed to coil to fill carb and then putting back on oil pressure switch.. Well bus 72 I've changed my feed over and as you said better safe than sorry !!! Thanks for good tip.
Robert
:oops: :idea: :)

dustrat said:
Some times you have to bite the bullet and admit that someone has a better idea than yourselve. I said take the live feed from coil to activate relay but bus72 said take it from oil pressure switch, Well in retrospeck after much thought his idea is a better idea for saftey sake. The only minor problem is if you run out of fuel the pump wont work by turning engine over until oil pressure is up. Problem easily solved by connecting feed to coil to fill carb and then putting back on oil pressure switch.. Well bus 72 I've changed my feed over and as you said better safe than sorry !!! Thanks for good tip.
Robert
:oops: :idea: :)
no worries robert, i would not worry about running out of fuel if your engine is good then oil pressure light will go out fairly
quick so you will soon get fuel to your carb or carbs. you could add a separate push button near your dash to prime the fuel
lines i however did not do this i could not be arsed running extra wires up to the dash, i have had no issues.

Latest posts