chit chat in for sale section...

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So it is me that is confused... :roll:

If you have a crossover [early indicators/vents/back lights]with bits from later vehicles [arches]and it goes for a complete resto you keep the original arches....

ahh , as you were.... :lol: 8)

[and if I come up with any intresting facts in the future , just ignore them]

dandaz said:
So it is me that is confused... :roll:

If you have a crossover [early indicators/vents/back lights]with bits from later vehicles [arches]and it goes for a complete resto you keep the original arches....

ahh , as you were.... :lol: 8)

[and if I come up with any intresting facts in the future , just ignore them]

Crossover arches are late arches (flared that is) now im confused too :oops:

This is all getting very confusing :roll:

Has someone dared to restore a crossdresser with early arches?

Does someone on here not know that XOs have late arches ( technically impossible because lates weren't around in 72) but you know what I mean.

Can we have chit chat back in the for sale section so we all know what all this is about and be done with it :mrgreen:

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=20550" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

is the bus under question, can we not be up front when sniping please.....I have to admit it will affect the price though on this one..... I cant believethe company responsible didnt raise the issue unless of course its what the owner wanted to account for the wheel and brake offset? who knows?

wibbler said:
This is all getting very confusing :roll:

Has someone dared to restore a crossdresser with early arches?

Does someone on here not know that XOs have late arches ( technically impossible because lates weren't around in 72) but you know what I mean.

I'm a bit confused by this thread full stop, but I have a '71 that had flared rear arches but I changed them for the earlier style as I prefer them. You have to slightly trim the inner wheel arch so the flatter outer lip sits OK, but there are no clearance issues. Pics at http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7570&start=20

so its an early with late arches, seen a few done like that and as long as the owner doesn't mind or isn't a 'purest' dont see a problem.... but personally and being the fussy bugger i am, i would have flats fitted.

Did look at this one and must admit I never noticed the arches, in this day and age of modding etc I wouldnt think it was too critical unless you were going for a full on og spec type resto.
Really needs some more recent, finished pics at that price.
Seems like a nice job though if I was being critical I might want a better/closer pic of the gap between the front door and step.

Ah thanks for the link! Was curious and searching ages for it! :lol:

A friend of mine, several years ago now, had a beautiful two owner Devon crossover. The interior was 100% original and like new. The bus had had a good quality re-spray in the original colour scheme... but it had been fitted with pre '72 front arches! :?

Johnny said:
so its an early with late arches, seen a few done like that and as long as the owner doesn't mind or isn't a 'purest' dont see a problem.... but personally and being the fussy bugger i am, i would have flats fitted.

Yep, my friend didn't have a clue what I was on about when I pointed out the arches to him on his bus, and he still sold it easily enough, but like you, I am fussy! :)

if you look at the slammed delta green south coast kustoms bus.... it too is an early with late rear arches....
and im sure in the volksworld feature it stated that it hadnt had any panel work done and was original...i may be wrong....
but anyway....personally i think it works on this bus!

2497782630_df689394fa.jpg

Any 71 model year (built August 1970 onwards) will have flared rear arches as this was changed when VW went to narrow 5 stud pattern, the front arches should still be flat until it becomes a crossover as these are then late front arches, they then have the pronounced lip on the edge.

Whether or not the bus has the correct arches is a matter of choice for the owner/builder of course, but it is eye-brow raising that a bus that incurred a £20k bill, presumably much of which went the way of the restorers, ended up with incorrect arches fitted. :?
Maybe its all they could get easily at the time. They also fitted a late front clip (and modded it) rather than sourcing a used correct one.

My favourite read in slow times is the 'Official Whine about stuff for sale' on bay windown forum on thesamba!

Graham L said:
Any 71 model year (built August 1970 onwards) will have flared rear arches as this was changed when VW went to narrow 5 stud pattern, the front arches should still be flat until it becomes a crossover as these are then late front arches, they then have the pronounced lip on the edge.

As G has mentioned there are plenty of 71`s out there with correct rear flared arches , by correct i mean they were built originally from factory for all you anally retentive geezers :lol: :lol: who are blessed with the flatter ones :x

all good really as we have a vw badge on front which is all that matters tbh

ste ;)

Graham L said:

The crossover arches are not the same as late arches as they retain the early step but gained the outer lip!

Easy this hobby isn't it :lol:

i`m confused now - my van is an early one but appears to have a m code option of larger arches - were these a factory option?
100_3972.JPG

mattyd72 The crossover arches are not the same as late arches as they retain the early step but gained the outer lip! Easy this hobby isn't it :lol:[/quote said:
Spot on i was going to say that. I fitted early arches to my crosser cos it was a lot eaiser to do, rather than cut the step out of the late arches and replaice it with an early step.

Kind of wish i did it now bugs me a bit because it dont look right, but then im not a perfectionist as long as it goes and is water tight use the van for what it is.

Latest posts