Chrissys dream - 1969 Dormobile - The journey to Turkey

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ant said:
Supa cool pics!!! :)

Thanks ant, looking forward to seeing frank with his new shoes on 8)

Got my earlybay.com sticker on to spread the word

IMG_1193.jpg

Fitted some blue dots

IMG_1194.jpg

Speaker case sat in it's new home

IMG_1191.jpg

And as we all like pics, sat in the evening sun yesterday

IMG_1199.jpg

Well, after a small heated discussion with the Doctor over the eye incident, i'm finally on my way, currently sat waiting to board for Bilbao.

So the journey finally begins :)

IMG_1094-1.jpg

Enjoy your trip James, bet you've been itching for this day for a long time now! 8)

What better day to start the journey than mid summers day,I`m looking at a wonderful sky right now I`m sure you`ll see many on you journey,good look and keep us all posted. :D

Thank you Ant, Andy and bluebay. Thus far the trip is going well, the bus driving excellently and the weather somewhat warm. I head for Andorra tomorrow before crossing into France to run the coast to Italy. In the meantime, here are some pictures.

Take good care one and all.

IMG_1095.jpg

IMG_1116.jpg

IMG_1130.jpg

IMG_1133.jpg

IMG_1171.jpg

IMG_1172-1.jpg

IMG_1182.jpg

IMG_1180.jpg

Having not been able to get a reliable internet connection for sometime, this post could land up being rather a long one, so my apologies for the amount of pictures, but i'll keep the words to a minimum to even it out!

Thank you to vintage autohaus for the offer to pop in and stay. I would of loved to, but unfortunately when I checked where you were in relation to my route, I was miles and miles away.

So far i've landed in Bilbao, spent a few days with my friends Inge and Iker enjoying the Basque summer street parties thrown by each village at this of the year. On through the mountains of Northern Spain to Jaca and Tremp, crossing the border into the strange anomaly that is Andorra and the gateway to France and the Pyrenees. Dropping down towards Perpignan, through the historic Beziers, along the coast to Sete, up into the Chaîne des Alpilles. The huge expanse of the national park Camargue, along to the rich playground of St Tropez, through the red rock of the Cote D'Azur, the wild night beach parties at Cannes (great to cruise, not to stop!), the peace of the beach at Antibes, the F1 track of Monaco, Monte Carlo, through Menton and across into Italy, running the coast through Imperia, Genoa, La Spezia, to Portofino, finally arriving in Pisa.

Which is where I have had to fly back from for my final eye appointment. I return back to Pisa tomorrow to continue on down to Brindisi to catch the ferry to Patras in Greece and then run the length of the coast past Athens and through to Istanbul and entrance into Turkey.

Thus far i've swapped out the points and condenser. Changed the rotor arm, cap, plugs and leads for good measure. Had a boiled brakes with the pedal to the floor incident after a mountain pass whilst entering into a petrol station following a police car.....they came back after a frantic pump staring at the police brake lights :msn4:

I promised I wouldn't write to much seeing as I know how many pictures are about to land on the thread. What I will say is that if you want to travel anonymously, don't travel in a lowered early bay! Get used to lights flashing, horns beeping, waving arms, no worries signs, picture taking, cheering, road workers clapping and laughing as you chug by in 2nd at 16mph scaling the 2500m climb ahead, cameras every where, big smiles and disbelieving faces all over the place. German motorcyclists that pass you, re pass you, then stop and unzip their jacket superman style with a great big grin to reveal...well, i'll let you see. There is no doubt in my mind that my Mum would of loved every minute.

Anyway, enough, on with the pictures.

IMG00003-20100629-2130.jpg

IMG_1195-1.jpg

IMG_1200-1.jpg

IMG_1198-1.jpg

IMG_1189-1.jpg

IMG_1194-1.jpg

IMG00009-20100630-1655.jpg

The tattoo of a T25 Basque driver that came and found me

IMG_1185-1.jpg

IMG_1219-1.jpg

My friend the german motorcyclist from Stuttgart whos Father owned a bay when he was a boy

IMG_1221-1.jpg

IMG_1222-1.jpg

IMG_1239-1.jpg

The famous yellow train and only(?) rail suspension bridge still in operation in France

IMG_1241-1.jpg

IMG_1238-1.jpg

Only car I managed to catch that was on some classic point to point rally through the Pyrenees

IMG_1242-1.jpg

The yard near Narbonne of the man that converts 2cv's into coupe convertibles. He spoke no English, me little French, but we got there between us. Check out his site at http://2cvcherie.free.fr/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; although I think he said the site wouldn't be back up for a week or two

IMG_1250-1.jpg

IMG_1262-1.jpg

Alternative use for a T4....

IMG_1342.jpg

IMG_1343-1.jpg

IMG_1347-1.jpg

IMG_1349.jpg

IMG_1351-1.jpg

IMG00026-20100704-0722.jpg

Anyone recognise this.....

IMG_1353-1.jpg

Click below for the video :lol:

[photobucket] [/photobucket]

IMG00030-20100704-1131.jpg

IMG00020-20100701-1428.jpg

IMG_1359-1.jpg

The practical side of wild camping.......just remember they are there. Did I mention the lost shorts? :roll:

IMG_1438-1.jpg

IMG_1439-1.jpg

IMG_1441-1.jpg

IMG00050-20100706-1959.jpg

IMG_1454-1.jpg

IMG_1455-1.jpg

And perhaps the best instruction from the sat nav yet......that woman has patience (click for the vid)

[photobucket] [/photobucket]

IMG00025-20100703-1817.jpg

It gets rather hot 8)

IMG00019-20100701-1428.jpg

Thats it for the moment :)

Awesome pictures James, brings back memories of our trip last year, tho I don't want to be reminded of how frustrating Sat Nav can be!

I had a shorts on the roof moment in France when I drove off without taking them down, luckily when we returned half and hour later our neighbours in the aire had recovered them for me!

Fantastic 8)

I reckon your mum will be enjoying every minute of this tour :D

Hope you get back OK to continue the journey ;)

That's the same trip i will do in august. South spain and france. And then italy, i hope... Great pictures... great trip. lucky you. Take care...

Latest posts