Chrome spray

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raveboy

Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
Ex Microbus
I'm thinking of retaining the old rear light reflectors which are by now a dull green and aluminium colour with various shades of mould and corrosion on them. If I media blast them, has anyone had any experience or favourable outcome with the chrome sprays that are on the market these days ? With regards to their reflectivity ?

Cheers
Rave

I ended up using this on mine. Did clean and prime first:

Hycote aluminium spray paint
400ml can.

Not as gloss as they say but made a big improvement on the corroded parts I had

I’ve tried it a few times in the past and chrome type spray paint out of the can just doesn’t work , well not to a good standard anyway .. if it’s a part you simply can not replace , probably best to send it away to a professional to re-chrome , but it’s quite an expensive process as they will have to strip your part back to the nickel, re-nickel it and then chrome it .

If you have the option to replace it with a new quality part , that will probably be cheaper and quicker than re plating your existing part .

What I found with chrome sprays is that they look great but you can't touch the surface or it comes off so I tried a clear lacquer and they went dull grey.
I tried several but same result.

It turns out (I read at the time anyway) that chrome sprays are made up of lots of tiny metallic bits that reflect to get that chrome look but as soon as you surface coat with a lacquer to make it durable then it's gone, stops reflecting, which is a shame.

So as mentioned already above, get chromed or possibly settle for silver (which is durable) until you can buy a replacement.

I even tried chrome wrapping foil but it was useless.

A couple of years back, one of my pals was going bananas about this different product but I haven’t seen him much to catch up with him. He was using chromed effect sticky back plastic for a few different things like light fittings etc. You can buy it in sheets like you buy paper. The other thing I’ve tried is reflective silver / chrome tape like they used for insulation. Gotta be better than grey paint and easily replaceable I should think.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,only just thought of it. :)

Latest posts