Clever camping solutions for double cab?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mack

Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
Double Cab
Hi,

Anyone who can post a pic or share some clever camping solutions with a double cab?

--Sleep on the bed?
--Bed in the rear seat?
--Roof tent?
-- Some sort of pull out trailer on the bed?

Any tips is helpful :)

A few years ago one of our Belgian friends slept in a hard shell roof tent on the pickup bed.
Hmm, that could be a solution. Those tents are hella expensive tho..

How big are you?
My (small) mate slept in his split screen double cab. He had an US cool box which came up to the height of the rear seat base, so he kind of curled up into place. Used a set of the stick on window thermo mats, and was away.

I’m thinking of maybe a combination of a tent and that Dutch rear tent gadget (Amascador) ? then gaining extra length with the rear tailgate down. Possibly hoops and tarp then extending down to the rear tailgate, that should give you the best part of two metres or so.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,, Where’s A.I. When you need it ? :)

If you have a tilt frame and canvas a double Mattress fits on the load bed, one of our good friends (Karl & Alice) used to do this with their crewcab, they boarded the roof of the tilt to give a bit more protection.

I’m thinking of maybe a combination of a tent and that Dutch rear tent gadget (Amascador) ? then gaining extra length with the rear tailgate down. Possibly hoops and tarp then extending down to the rear tailgate, that should give you the best part of two metres or so.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,, Where’s A.I. When you need it ? :)
I never knew that exsisted! I think they wont fit very good with original hoops and canvas tho.

Last edited:
Thats a very easy solution! I am buying the canvas to my original hoops and wood splats as we speak so. Hmm
Have a look at how much extra length you would gain from having the tailgate down. Ask the person that’s making up your canvas, if they could incorporate something like the Amascador. Possibly use it while on camping trips then reverse it when using as a crew cab with truck and have the extra canvas up behind the cab when using it for any other thing. Or possibly an add on extra section from the last hoop down to the tailgate.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,show them a picture. :)

Have a look at how much extra length you would gain from having the tailgate down. Ask the person that’s making up your canvas, if they could incorporate something like the Amascador. Possibly use it while on camping trips then reverse it when using as a crew cab with truck and have the extra canvas up behind the cab when using it for any other thing. Or possibly an add on extra section from the last hoop down to the tailgate.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,show them a picture. :)

That's a good idea, some kind of zip-on attachment with a simple folding frame.....

Latest posts