Click then nothing

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edd72bay

Reaction score
Hi guys I have a 72 bay. I went to start it the other day. I turned the key and there was a click then nothing. No light worked nothing. I assumed that the battery was dead so jump started the van. When turning the van off I checked the lights etc with out the engine running and they shone bright however I then went to turn the key and heard the same click and then nothing. Can anyone help??

Sounds like somebody's strapped a bomb to the underneath of your van, and they're running the trigger off the ignition switch. Do you have any powerful enemies?

serious answer is that usually this problem is caused by a faulty ignition switch or duff wiring from the switch to the starter motor. People tend to assume that it's the fault of the starter motor itself but these things are pretty robust, whereas the starter circuit isn't.

Starter motor has two feeds, one big, one small. You can use the big one to make sure that the starter is OK. Take the van out of gear, jack it up, and bridge the two terminals on the starter with a big old screwdriver. Should turn the engine over, indicating that it's wiring or switch.

The fact that the van started when jumped indicates that it's likely a crappy connection somewhere rather than the switch, but you can't rule that out. Try supplying power to position 50 on your ignition switch (thick red wire with a black stripe). THEN you can rule out the ignition switch, and if the starter doesn't run, look at the connections on the starter, the connector in the circuit between starter and ignition switch, etc.

Of course, first off you should probably check the earth leads on the gearbox and the battery, and the big chunky power lead to the starter.

Sounds like the battery just needs charging / replacing - the fact that it jump starts probably means everything else is ok.

The starter will draw a lot of current, unlike the lights etc. the click you hear is the relay on the starter engaging, but the battery hasn't got enough juice to actually crank the engine.

I would guess your starter isnt getting a full 12V your van is old and wire degrades over time.

The power is going from the battery upto the switch and back to the starter,

I had this on mine and fitted a realy by the starter which uses the ignition switch purely as a switch for the realy and it takes power direct from the battery to the starter motor.

http://www.vwheritage.com/vw_spares_Hard-Start-Relay-Kit-12V-AC9112917_act_shop.product_pID_144551511.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Alex VW Heritage said:
I would guess your starter isnt getting a full 12V your van is old and wire degrades over time.

The power is going from the battery upto the switch and back to the starter,

I had this on mine and fitted a realy by the starter which uses the ignition switch purely as a switch for the realy and it takes power direct from the battery to the starter motor.

http://www.vwheritage.com/vw_spares_Hard-Start-Relay-Kit-12V-AC9112917_act_shop.product_pID_144551511.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mmm, got one of those on the bug. Felt like I was just buying time when I fitted it, but 5 years later it's still going strong, so...

I'd replaced the starter motor and the battery before fitting one of these and wished I'd done this first and saved myself a bucket load of dosh! (I have had one relay fail due to water getting in it) Make sure you bag up the realy if fitted under the van and make an attempt to waterproof it.

Pop your old battery into a Halfords store first- They'll load test it for free, it'll tell you for sure if it's goosed or not. And then of course, you can leave and buy your battery somewhere where you won't get ripped off.

I had this exact problem - turned out to be the earth cable on the battery wasn't tightly clamped on. Seemed it was ok running low load, but when I tried to fire the starter I just got that click and nothing.

Although maybe the fact yours worked when jump-starting rules this out.

Latest posts