clutch

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ands1

Reaction score
Been out for cruise tonight round a few villages, up n down gearbox etc. Went to change gear & clutch felt springy with no resistance, pulled over switched off pressed clutch & tried starting in gear. Van jumped forward so I'm thinking cable snapped. RAC man turns up I press clutch while he looks at lever on gearbox, cable isn't snapped, so something else. Anyone any ideas before engine comes out?
Ta Andy

Sounds like what I had last year after busfest - clutch release bearing has given up
Dont adjust the clutch cable or you will smash your release arms into the pressure plate causing loads more damage - ask me how I know! :msn4:

Engine out and fingers crossed just a nice fresh release bearing

Could be the clutch release arm has failed. Seen it happen on a friend's bus, the steel just fatigued and the release forks snapped off. It's engine out time unfortunately... :(

Been a close one this, we've been in France for 2 weeks, came home just over a week ago & this was my vans first run since then.
Thankfully didn't happen in France with the young family on board.
Thanks for advice
Andy

Some good advice above. Before ordering new parts, I would drop the engine to see which release bearing you actually need. If your engine or transmission has ever been worked on/replaced it may not be the same clutch as original. I bet it's the release arm ends that have snapped ... unfortunately the bearing could very well be damaged now too :(

Let us know what you find.

I had this too but it turned out to be the pedal where the cable connects to the pedal the pin had worn through the pedal arm easy fix build up with weld drilled a new hole sorted might be worth a look before you pull the engine

Got the engine out today, need a few bits me thinks :?

[url=http://s198.photobucket.com/user/ands1_bucket/media/20140803_134048_zpsclkuiogt.jpg.html]
20140803_143414_zpsgyd8psz4.jpg
[/url]

Does the clutch look ok not sure about the brownish colouring plus where the thrust bearing goes a gins looks a bit worn

Would anyone have any idea why the inside of the rear tyre has worn as in the photo, all other tyres are ok..

Yep, that's what happened to my mate's release fork...

Don't know about the brown marks but that thrust bearing mating face needs to be smooth and flat. If in doubt it would be worth a new clutch cover plate while you have it all out (unless you can get that individual component?).

Can't really see anything on the tyre but if its the inside edge then I'd be asking if you have the bus lowered? If so then it's likely because of that as the wheels do angle out on a lowered bus. Uneven tyre pressures will then exacerbate the problem. If not then could be that the bub carrier needs adjusting for alignment (check that the bolts are tight is a good start point!).

Latest posts