Coil questions

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burt

Reaction score
Hi all I have just brought a 63 beetle it has had a small engine fire before I had it.
So I have had to replace the coil, dizzy, points which are electronic plus had to re wire most of the wires.
My problem is not being to clever with wires and had to kind of guess where they all went.
Anyway I thought I had done quite well.
Now everything turns over as it should but it just won't fire up.
I have taken a lead of a spark plug earthed it and there is no spark.
Should there be a live feed to the coil or not and how many wires go to the plus and how many to the earth.
I have had a look on my 68 bay but still carnt work it out
Will they be the same.
Sorry if I'm rambling but I'm totally lost and it's doing my head in
Thanks in advance
Ps merry Christmas everyone one

burt said:
Hi all I have just brought a 63 beetle it has had a small engine fire before I had it.
So I have had to replace the coil, dizzy, points which are electronic plus had to re wire most of the wires.
My problem is not being to clever with wires and had to kind of guess where they all went.
Anyway I thought I had done quite well.
Now everything turns over as it should but it just won't fire up.
I have taken a lead of a spark plug earthed it and there is no spark.
Should there be a live feed to the coil or not and how many wires go to the plus and how many to the earth.
I have had a look on my 68 bay but still carnt work it out
Will they be the same.
Sorry if I'm rambling but I'm totally lost and it's doing my head in
Thanks in advance
Ps merry Christmas everyone one

can you take a picture of the coil wiring? upload it to photobucket and post it in the thread, worth a thousand words and all that.

take the main lead off the coil get someone to turn it over and see if its sparking, if it is? then the issue is with your dizzy, if its not sparking then your wiring might be wrong or the coil is faulty?

check the arm inside the dizzy are the contacts clean? is the electronic ignition seated properly?

coil_wiring.jpg

Latest posts