Coilover advice

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luke

Reaction score
Hi all, i am planning on fitting coilovers on the front of my 72 (crossover) bay in the hope that it will improve the handling over my current cut-and-turned spine shattering ride and basically i am after some advice. A friend of mine has a business building shocks and can sort me out with the coilovers but he need to know what type of springs i need (open length, pressure etc) does anybody have any experience of this? i am after a low as possible without being unusable ride, slightly lower than i currently have (see pic at bottom).
Secondly i have to think of a way of getting rid of the torsion bars, would it be possible to keep them but undo the nut in the middle so they act as 2 anti roll bars, or would this seriously affect the suspension? If this is not an option i could make 2 bars to replace them but im not sure how i would make the ends of the bars twist independently from each other? Any advice would be greatly appreciated,
Luke :D

left.jpg

Have a look at Red9 design, they do a coil over kit with either a 2-4" drop or a 4-5.5" drop.
Sure they use straight bars that do away with the torsion bars so you might be able to remove the middle screw and allow them to freely move but dont quote me on that. :lol:

froggy said:
Have a look at Red9 design, they do a coil over kit with either a 2-4" drop or a 4-5.5" drop.
Sure they use straight bars that do away with the torsion bars so you might be able to remove the middle screw and allow them to freely move but dont quote me on that. :lol:

Froggy is right, Red9 use a Tie Bar to hold the torsion arms on - I wouldn't recommend just undoing the centre grub screws though as the torsion leaves are designed to just "flex" and provide springing - you can't be sure of their tensile (pulled from each end) strength.

Give Red9 a call - they might just supply the tie-bar on it's own...

;)

Justin & Muttley said:
Froggy is right, Red9 use a Tie Bar to hold the torsion arms on - I wouldn't recommend just undoing the centre grub screws though as the torsion leaves are designed to just "flex" and provide springing - you can't be sure of their tensile (pulled from each end) strength.

Give Red9 a call - they might just supply the tie-bar on it's own...

;)
I might well do that, or depending on the price my mate quotes me for the coilovers i might just buy the kit. I have access to a machine shop though so i like to make as much stuff for free as possible :lol: does anyone have a picture of the tie bars on the red 9 kit so i could see how they work?

Latest posts