Anti roll bar bush

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slow-lane-Matt

Reaction score
Whilst doing a pre-MOT walkaround I noticed this...

It looks like a very simple job to replace - not even needing to remove the anti-roll bar.

Is this the case ? I am nervous about leaving the bus in an undrivable state so I couldn't drive to a repair ship to bail me out if needed.

Assuming the current bush would just come off with a bit of tugging, am I right in assuming replacement would slip right in without needing to undo
any very tight bolts...

Thanks in advance for any advice

MDle8XT.jpg

I'm not so sure that the bushes should be split ? I've got some from JK and they are not split type :
https://www.justkampers.com/vw-t2-bay-window-parts/t2-bay-front-suspension-steering-wheel-bearings/anti-roll-bars-fitting-kits/211-498-101-a-anti-roll-bar-fit-kit-type-2-1968-to-1979-pair.html

Nor are Heritage's offering:
https://www.heritagepartscentre.com/uk/211498101a-mounting-kit-for-front-anti-roll-bar-left-right.html

Best to clean off any corrosion round the nut and thread with a wire brush and then soak in a good penetrating release fluid such as the WD40 one -then leave for a good hour or so for it to work its magic. Fitting of the clamp is straight forward but you will need a big pair of mole grips or water pump pliers to squeeze the clamp together while you hammer the clamp clip on. I would do both sides at the same time especially if your going to use the heavy duty type to ensure you don't introduce any unwanted handling differences from side to side.

Thanks for the advice, I bought an electric impact driver which is a fantastic bit of kit and easily whipped off the 2 bolts, best £50 I ever spent.

I was in two minds about replacing the other (good) bush and clamp - but will take your tip about about keeping things symetrical for better handling.

The kits from C&C don't have the split either - but now the ARB is off, not an issue

Thanks again -

To complete this thread my replacements from C&C were not split, and with a bit of washing up liquid were not too hard to force over the ends. I did take the roll bar of completely, would have been much more difficult to fit in situ.

The old bushes were branded VW, and were not split, and could probably have been re-used.

The replacement anti-roll bar bolts that came with the "bush kit" were too short - so keep the original nuts/bolts.

It was surprisingly easy to fit the retainer clip, using mole grips, tighten, release, tightened a bit further, then slid on and hammer the clip in place.

Easy DIY

Glad you got it sorted. A tip for the future is nail pulling pliers or oetiker clamp pliers. They are perfect for this, you can just slide the clip on easy and only tap the last bit with the hammer. If the clamps are plated/passivated or painted it saves damaging the surface.

Latest posts