Colour Suggestions - Let the Fight Begin!!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Malglass

Reaction score
Hi All

We have recently purchased a 1971 Devon in need of some serious love. Pics to follow....

We are keeping the original interior and recovering the upholstery and re laminating the cabinets etc.

The big question is.... What colour do we paint it?

Almost everyone has a stock colour and whilst this is very nice we are thinking of going for something a little more eye catching/unusual. However not gaudy or in poor taste.

I have been trawling the net trying to find some different images, however it appears that its only splitties that get painted in anything different to stock colours.

SO feel free to tell me I am commiting sacrilege, or preferibly send me some nice images.

Thanks in advance

Malcolm

You need to look through some of the threads in the gallery section mines not standard in any way especially colour :lol:
19102008077.jpg

My Devon is also a non standard colour. I get lots of compliments on the colour but to be honest would prefer og paint or an og colour respray.
DSCF4713.jpg

VW's are painted in loads of great colours.
Go to your local motor factors/paint suppliers and ask to borrow the VW colour chips. You'll be suprised at the range of shades.
Just got a couple here for example,

colourchips8.jpg

colourchips9.jpg

Thanks guys keep the suggestions/pics coming..

Nelly - love the wheels
Bananacustard - Thats a relly nice looking van, your colour was one we had considered its a lovely shade
Sparkwig - I am almost afraid to show my other half these samples she will want them all!!

Heres my old bus in Chianti Red and Pastel White which was the original colour and is one of my fave colour combos, im in the same boat colour wise with my new dormy but dont want to go for its original colour, white all over. :?
image2-1-1.jpg

thru_a_lupe said:
mines beryl green....stock for an early bug.... but not a bay or a split!
Beautifull colour. There was a Bus in one of the VDub mags recently in that colour, was it yours?
If i were to go for a different colour chances are it would end up Beryl Green.
Fair play dude, i am in awe of your Bus, honest 8) 8) 8) 8) .
Any Pix?

Rich

Hi mate ..

I would suggest anyone doing lots of work on their bus that they do it for themselves and how they want it ...

Pick a colour you like ... and will keep liking .. one that makes you smile when you look at your bus!

Don't get me wrong , Im all for keeping original buses original .. But i think buses like mine that have had loads of changes done already .. ( And has at least 3 different colours in places!) .. then a change in the colour to non standard is hardly a crime ..

Just my opinion! ;)

Hilly

Hoosier said:
thru_a_lupe said:
mines beryl green....stock for an early bug.... but not a bay or a split!
Beautifull colour. There was a Bus in one of the VDub mags recently in that colour, was it yours?
If i were to go for a different colour chances are it would end up Beryl Green.
Fair play dude, i am in awe of your Bus, honest 8) 8) 8) 8) .
Any Pix?

Rich

yeah i saw that feature too..... but the pix in the mag made it look bright yellow!!!! to be fair its a hard colour to photograph!!!!

i specifically shot this to look cold....so it makes it look more grey...

OBK797H2009.jpg

this is slightly more representative...

IMG_7980.jpg

colour can make or break a project. usually i find that if you stick to vag or porsche classic colour scheme, that ticks most boxes and still stays with the natural look of the van. and if you look hard enough you can find some wacky enough colours to tick all the right boxes.

it's personal preference and also taste,

I'd say stick to a single tone paint with a relatively straight coulor.

Old vehicles look better in an older shade rather than anything too modern, (Just my opinion of course)

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/colorstype2.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thats the samba coulor chart with all the VW period coulors,

I'm sure you'll find something you like.

I resprayed mine back to stock, but A) I love the coulor and B) saved doing an interior spray in the van.

Hi All
I really appreciate all the comments, its also great to see so many different vans out there.

Its funny how the colours can look so different depending on which computer you look at them on.

Hoping that we will be ready for late spring, so I am hoping there are some shows on before then so we can see some in the flesh so to speak.

Thanks again

Coulor is dependant on Light conditions,

Screens are bad for a true nature of a coulor as they are back lit and therefore will give your eyes a false impression, It's always best to try and look at a coulor in the flesh and in as many different light conditions as possible. I could show you ten photo's of my van and every one will look like a different shade of blue ;)

alex4057 said:
Coulor is dependant on Light conditions,

Screens are bad for a true nature of a coulor as they are back lit and therefore will give your eyes a false impression, It's always best to try and look at a coulor in the flesh and in as many different light conditions as possible. I could show you ten photo's of my van and every one will look like a different shade of blue ;)

Hi
Just looked at the link on your post, some really nice vans on there. One in the gallery of a blue and white one owned by a chap called Russell. Dont suppose you know the colour of that one?

Thanks

I am watching this one with great interest, I am in the same position my 72 Devon is all white and being prepped for paint in a month or so. do I keep it all white or I was thinking of doing primrose yellow or dove blue to lower half.
What do you think?
twiggy

Latest posts