Connecting speedo cable

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VWAIRCOOLED

Reaction score
Hi,I'm trying to put my 1970 Dormobile back together.I have put a new front clip on and have connected most things up.
One thing I'm struggling with is the speedo cable.When I removed it to fit the front I undid it from the dash end and tried to feed it through.I ended up pulling the other end and it came off but I didn't see where it came from? So I pulled the whole lot out.

Now I have connected the dash bit up but can't find where it connects to? The front cable section is only long enough to reach about 1/3rd of the way along underneath.It hasn't snapped either it has some sort of square drive on the end still.Where abouts does it eventually go to on the gearbox? Or is it driven off one of the wheels?

please help :oops:

It should go from the speedo unit, down to the front floor where it exits to underneath the bus (the brake light switch wiring goes out the same hole). It then runs to the rear/left above the beam (my 69 DC has a holder for it in the chassis) and goes towards the left side spindle. If you crawl underneath the car look at the inner side of the spindle...there should be a hole in the direct center of it. The speedo cable goes through here. Your hubcap and spindle dust/grease cap should come off also so as you push the speedo cable from the inside you should see the square end piece poke out from the outer tip of the spindle.
Now look at your dust/grease spindle cap you took off...it should have somewhat of a squarish hole in it. Fit that hole over the speedo cable end and tap the cap back on. That should be all that's to it. :)

So it is driven by the front left wheel then.Thats why I can't find where it goes then.It was taken off by someone else and tucked up in the wrong place.I'll have a go next time I'm with the bus,cheers for that :)

Latest posts