Corroding fuel tank in my 68 westy.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danny

Reaction score
I have a rusting fuel tank in my 68 van. I want to replace ideally with a new tank but so far searches have suggested that no one is manufacturing replacement tanks for earlies. Anybody found different? I have sourced an secondhand one from a local vw restoration outfit. It is described as a clean example and they will refurb it with a five part flush and reline product all for £240. They are on standby to go ahead. When replacing the tank what sort of condition have folks found the breather pipes etc? I am expecting to replace the filler hose and any gaskets ( fuel outlet ) Are there any other dos, don't or watch outs I need to be aware of?

We had an eventful chug back from SW France this summer having to blow the fuel back into the tank with a tyre inflator to clear the blockage around the strainer every 20 miles. This improve to 50 miles intervals when I stuck a big magnet onto the underside of the tank. Looking to avoid a repeat of this pitstop style motoring in future.
All helpful advice will be gladly received.
Regards.
Danny
:roll:

I took my tank out last winter and found the breather pipes to be fine. Anything rubber needs replacing though.... Unless you have holes in the tank I'd encourage you to give it a good clean, you can do that with some marine cleaner. I decided against lining or coating the inside, but enamelled the outside

Was easy, try the frost website for tank cleaning products....

Mines been in and out three times so far! cleaned and degreased with vinigar and bicarbonate of soda first time but ended up resorting to a very strong soak in caustic soda over night in the end.

I think its done the trick this time but I'm still getting some fine crap in the filters and float bowl so regular filter changes and a full tank for the next few thousand miles to flush it all out I suspect.

C&C do a fuel tank, I've not had to buy one, so no first hand knowledge of there tanks, but seems like a fit and forget solution, if a tad expensive.

I used the frost tank refurb kit also worked ok for me just follow instructions to the letter.

ty9ysepy.jpg

Good luck ;)

Have you seen the YouTube for using molasses to remove rust. :) Supposed to work as good as anything else, might be ok for the inside of the tank to clean it.

Latest posts