How do I get to my crewy fuel tank?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stutz

Reaction score
I smell fuel in the cab when I fill the tank. I am assuming that the hoses must be replaced and want to do that before I have a fire bust out somewhere. Do I need to remove the decking? That seems to be the only way to get to the fuel tank.

Am I right here?

^^^
WHS

Also in our single cab it is accessible from the locker area, the bottom of which would be your rear seats.. I don't know about crew cabs but maybe you have a removable panel behind the rear seats? Not likely I know.. but it would make it easier!

Stutz said:
I smell fuel in the cab when I fill the tank. I am assuming that the hoses must be replaced and want to do that before I have a fire bust out somewhere. Do I need to remove the decking? That seems to be the only way to get to the fuel tank.

Am I right here?
I had this on mine, stripped out the tank and all ok, found out it was the seal on the filler cap. Before I replaced the cap I put a plastic bag over the neck then screwed the cap on, this stopped the smell so I replaced the cap and all fine.

I guess since the neck is so shallow from the tank to cap when the tank was full the fuel was going up the neck and leaking past the cap.

might be something to try before you take the tank out :mrgreen:

On a crewie its a piece of piss remove the seat base and pedestal, theres a removable bulkhead at the back ...... well when I say a piece of piss it does require a little bit of contortion

What Araon said.
10mm socket while you're down there.
Also - be a good time to check out the fuel sender unit-
Mine was giving weird readings - found there was a science experiment hanging off the end of it !

Ha!! Thanks Araon. I had visions of chopping off the deck which IS in a very bad way. The previous owner must have used it to cart pieces of moon crater or asteroids around in. I'll leave replacement of the deck and gates for another thread.

BTW rev-al, good call on the sender. Mine shows 3/4 when full and 1/4 when empty. With no trip meter I never know how far I have left to go and I couldn't be bothered with the maths on the odo.

Latest posts