Cunning Bus Project

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheers lads.

More:

On to the rear floor section by the bulk-head.

IMAG0101.jpg

IMAG0121.jpg

IMAG0123.jpg

IMAG0128.jpg

IMAG0132.jpg

IMAG0133.jpg

IMAG0134.jpg

IMAG0140.jpg

See this is why you go to a good, professional restorer - perfect welding.

IMAG0144.jpg

And you know he is good when he is fabricating stuff like this for fun :character0036: :

Screenshot2011-07-04at090908.png

:mrgreen:

Next is the front chin area, front tubs then flip back over for chassis coating - then we are done with that part of the restoration! :mrgreen:

cunning plan said:
And you know he is good when he is fabricating stuff like this for fun :character0036: :

Screenshot2011-07-04at090908.png

:mrgreen:

Next is the front chin area, front tubs then flip back over for chassis coating - then we are done with that part of the restoration! :mrgreen:

RUDE! I want one :evil:

Nice welding (though not as good as mine ......... I wish ;) ) ;)

Moving nicely - looks like a lot of vans which have had long gestation periods are now coming together.

Plus that beetle is rude :mrgreen:

Cheers gents, all support welcomed :mrgreen:

All the parts that needed painting that I have right now have been painted:

DSCF0186.jpg

Next mini project whilst waiting for the welding to be complete (I keep adding more stuff onto the welding list that I'm not happy with :lol: ), I thought I would rebuild the rack.

DSCF0192.jpg

Mainly as it is a little tatty rather than 'ratty' - so i may as well make it tidy. You can see where someone has snapped off the screw heads and a few of the supports for the top bar are discoloured. I will give the wood a quick rub down and varnish too.

DSCF0191.jpg

DSCF0190.jpg

DSCF0189.jpg

Kind of funny when I am just going to load it back up with ratty stuff :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

DSCF0184.jpg

8)

Dubs and Classics have been busy!

Bascially, A posts needed completly rebuilding, new front lower pannel, indicator holes corrected and new mounts fabricated, arches and tubs done.

IMAG0151.jpg

IMAG0152.jpg

IMAG0153.jpg

IMAG0176-1.jpg

IMAG0178.jpg

IMAG0194-1.jpg

IMAG0204.jpg

IMAG0216.jpg

IMAG0221.jpg

IMAG0228.jpg

IMAG0229.jpg

IMAG0239.jpg

Cheers Andy :mrgreen:

Rack is now done:

All the metal work was keyed, cleaned and resprayed with just a grey I had spare.

DSCF0193.jpg

Wood sanded back a little, cleaned.

DSCF0194.jpg

Then wood-stained.

DSCF0195.jpg

I replaced the small piece of cracked rubber on the supports that attach to the cutters with a bigger, better piece of rubber.

DSCF0196.jpg

The rubber was actually recycled from an old bicycle inner-tube.

DSCF0197.jpg

Back together.

DSCF0198.jpg

All new fixings and loctight on most of them to stop them rattling loose.

DSCF0199.jpg

DSCF0200.jpg

DSCF0202.jpg

gninnam said:
Great work on the rack - looks very professional :D

Cheers dude. I tried to make it look quite good.

Soooo, after all this time, I started playing with the only thing i actually wanted to play with.

DSCF0203.jpg

DSCF0204.jpg

DSCF0207.jpg

Plan is to get this engine up and running, just a basic setup, then perhaps build something tasty later.

Parts are accumulating 8)

DSCF0206.jpg

Engine top-end apart..

Case looks OK, can't see anything wrong with it, turns nice and smoothly with very little end-float - if at all. So, still going ahead with my original plan to clean this engine up, new valves, piston rings, dissy, carbs etc and use as a temporary engine just to get the bus on the road at some point.

DSCF0238.jpg

DSCF0237.jpg

DSCF0236.jpg

There is a crack across one of the cooling fins in one of the heads and some chips in the valve base, but I think it will be OK as a 'get you by' engine, as confirmed on another thread by EB guys. 8)

DSCF0235.jpg

DSCF0232.jpg

Slammed said:
Jason is a talented guy, eh? 8)

Yup, and here comes some more tallent:

Finishing off the front pannel from in the bus:

IMAG0383.jpg

Stone-chipped / sealed.

IMAG0396.jpg

Light repair.

IMAG0374.jpg

IMAG0376.jpg

Top wheel-arch repair, again nicely done to fabricate the original 'lip'.

IMAG0280.jpg

IMAG0273.jpg

Straight lines! No more wavey-ness by the door shuts 8) Nice skills by Dubs and Classics here as I know there was filler and rubbish metal to work with.

IMAG0393.jpg

IMAG0392.jpg

IMAG0391.jpg

Few more bits left, then roll again and stone-chip the 'like new' chassis :mrgreen:

Dubs and Classics might have a new toy to play with for the last time we need to roll my bus, so keep watching :msn4:

cunning plan said:
Yup, and here comes some more tallent:

What a let down - was expecting pics of a few fit ladies.........

Great work though 8)

cunning plan said:
Dubs and Classics might have a new toy to play with for the last time we need to roll my bus, so keep watching :msn4:

:msn4:

The bus is back!

I managed to give the bus a quick blow over myself before it left Jason's workshop (he was kind enough to let me use a corner for a day), it is now VW Savannah Beige, but flat, without gloss. I think it looks great - kind of classic, yet 'rod.

DSCF0280.jpg

Dubs and Classics have done a great job fabricating the old rubbish areas.

DSCF0281.jpg

DSCF0282.jpg

Proper indicator mounts at last 8)

DSCF0283.jpg

DSCF0284.jpg

Looking real nice and straight now. Slightly shiny too :mrgreen:

DSCF0285.jpg

DSCF0286.jpg

DSCF0287.jpg

Now for the important parts, the chassis - amazing job done here by Dubs and Classics.

DSCF0288.jpg

DSCF0289.jpg

DSCF0290.jpg

DSCF0292.jpg

DSCF0293.jpg

DSCF0294.jpg

Excited to start the rebuild properly now I have a blank canvas.

Big thanks to Jason though, even though he was so busy, he agreed to work on my bus in-between his other projects and I am real happy with the result. The chassis is now one of the best bits to look at on the bus and I shouldn't have to worry too much about going through puddles as that's a Schultz mixed layer of protection on there 8)

Latest posts