Cunning Bus Project

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking good with the wheels tried on.
How long will it be until you drop it down on the wheels?

I know! That is the exciting part - will it be low enough?! How much spring will the suspension have?! So many questions to be answered :lol: :shock: :?

Not sure buddy, hopefully I can get the other side together tonight and put the 14" stocks on as they have tyres, then drop it down to see where it sits.

I would have been either further ahead, but I had to work on my car yesterday evening as the rear lights were messing around.

I don't think it will be anywhere near as low as yours Krusty though :cry: :|

After getting in from a long day at work and commuting, I was out in the garage for 3 and a half hours taking the dropped spindles apart to fix the leaves which weren't allowing the other side to go on properly, then putting it all back together again.

Anyway - done now :msn4:

I'm pretty pleased with the kit - quality is excellent. The height could have been down a little - like 1/2" - but it's fine. I plan to take the over-all height down (not wheel arch height, I mean bus height) by using skinnier tyres on the front - pictured here with my old 14" with 185/70/14s on.

I also let a bit of air out of the front tyre for the last shots just to simulate having smaller tyres on.

DSCF0051.jpg

DSCF0054.jpg

DSCF0055.jpg

DSCF0056.jpg

DSCF0058.jpg

The suspension travel is amazing - it is like a bouncy castle compared to before. However, dissapointly, as andyo11 pointed out - the Red9 Spax coil-overs are not tall enough to use with the d-spindles, so I am going to have to buy some better suited coil-overs. So, looks like my entire Red 9 kit is up for sale!! ;)

So, yep, pleased with the height. Compared with before, I think it's raised about 1".

Morelowering4.jpg

DSCF0058.jpg

But as I say, I hope to regain that 1" (or close to it) by putting skinnys on the front - like Graham L's:

L1030804.jpg

I never set out to have a slammed bus, just a lowered one that drives well, so hopefully this is the solution - a low 'over all' height of the bus, but still have lots of suspension travel - the one compromise being you can see a bit more of the inner arch - so the wheel doesn't fill it as well.

Good work my man :mrgreen:

I like the height that you have it at, especially knowing that you have a good range of suspension travel :D

Andewilson's rollers are on (with adapters to wide-5) ready for rolling.

DSCF0062.jpg

I just have to move quite a bit out of the garage to make the space and double check that at the highest point the bus won't hit a low storage rack suspended from the garage roof joists.

Can you film the bus rolling for us, ive neve seen it done before and very interested!
And if it does go wrong you could be in with a chance of £250! :lol:

krusty said:
Can you film the bus rolling for us, ive neve seen it done before and very interested!
And if it does go wrong you could be in with a chance of £250! :lol:

:lol:

I'll see if I remember amongst the rolling fun!

With all the hassle of rolling it, I didn't think to take a video - sorry.

A few pictures though..

DSCF0068.jpg

DSCF0065.jpg

DSCF0064.jpg

Amazing how much more you can see when it is rolled. Although there are a lot more dodgy patch plates on the chassis than I first thought. Which puts the project behind again :roll: :| :cry:

cunning plan said:
Forgiven, but issues did you have?

cunning plan said:
Amazing how much more you can see when it is rolled. Although there are a lot more dodgy patch plates on the chassis than I first thought. Which puts the project behind again :roll: :| :cry:

Sorry about that :cry:

gninnam said:
cunning plan said:
Forgiven, but issues did you have?

Just the usual with getting it safely over, working out the space we had to work in, moving everything around etc.. :?

With the bus rolled, Jason from Dubs and Classics came over again to assess yet more welding to be done on the chassis :?

DSCF0083.jpg

So, Jason left me with instructions to get cleaning and grinding ready for when the bus goes to his workshop.

DSCF0084.jpg

The plan is to grind out all rubbish ready for fresh to be welded back in and wire-wheel / clean / metal ready / POR15 everything else.

DSCF0085-1.jpg

Took out the centre heating pipe along with the cables etc. Plan is here to connect up a Eber / Propex heater using a modern flexible pipe into the original front section heating system so you can still direct heat onto the front screen but have efficient heating that is ad-hoc.

DSCF0085.jpg

Wire-wheeeeeeliiinggggg.. :character0036:

DSCF0086.jpg

Hmm dodgy steering linkage!!!!!!!!

So much easier when the bus is on it's side.

Sounds like you are enjoying yourself ;)

Grinding, wire-wheeling, de-greasing, grinding, wire-wheeling, de-greasing etc, etc.

DSCF0121.jpg

DSCF0120.jpg

Some new parts have arrived for the steering mechanism:

DSCF0117.jpg

But I am reusing the idler arm, so that gets wire-wheeled then put in the vinegar until I paint it.

DSCF0122.jpg

Took a day off yesterday to tow the bus to Dubs and Classics.

DSCF0131.jpg

Fecking beautiful day, sun was out all day. 8)

DSCF0130.jpg

Now Jason can get stuck in and finish the structual work that the old UK '68 needs :|

DSCF0133.jpg

DSCF0134.jpg

Andewilson's rollers coming in useful again :party0006:

DSCF0132.jpg

Some of Jason's other customer projects and his own super cool roof-chop Beetle - stunning work :mrgreen:

DSCF0135.jpg

Looks like its in safe hands.

Looking forward to some great updates now ;)

Yes bud, Jason has some massive skills - as you will see with some picture updates! :mrgreen:

Manky!

DSCF0073.jpg

DSCN1760.jpg

DSCF0124.jpg

DSCF0123.jpg

A repair was also needed to the axle tube :?

DSCN1764.jpg

Jason starting to do what he does best.

DSCN1766.jpg

DSCN1767.jpg

See, this is why I have gone to a professional restorer - I was tempted to get all the kit myself and have a go, but you just don't get these skills over-night - that is a tidy repair 8)

cunning plan said:
See, this is why I have gone to a professional restorer - I was tempted to get all the kit myself and have a go, but you just don't get these skills over-night - that is a tidy repair 8)

Know the feeling - my welding is cr@p..........

Latest posts