Cunning Bus Project

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cunning plan said:
Parts drop!

springplateparts-1.jpg

The custom-made headlining arrived from MegaVanMats too, but I didn't take a picture of it. :roll:

BOOM!

Finally completed the headlining, it was an epic mini-project!

I now just need to work my way down the sides and around the windows with the same material, then find a nice and tidy way to join sections together.

Hopefully, my choice of custom material will be worth it in terms of insulation and sound-proofing as it is quite thick, yet still a material as opposed to a vinyl.

IMG_20131223_133312.jpg

IMG_20131223_133228.jpg

IMG_20131223_133211.jpg

IMG_20131223_133146.jpg

IMG_20131223_133058.jpg

Started to install the adjustable rear spring-plates.

In the Bentley manual, it states a measurement of 23° + 50' is the stock / default setting of the spring plates for a 'Station Wagon' Bay. So I went for that:

IMG_20131223_145402.jpg

IMG_20131223_145422.jpg

DSCF4276.jpg

A snap shot of the build so far:

98eb53f2-64a1-4d2e-8c4e-c25866a55c17.jpg

Working on the wiring diagram when I can! :roll:

wiringsample.png~original

It's starting to get messy! That is just the front lights and spotlight! :shock: :satanlook:

But I WILL have my toggle switches!!!!! :evil:

Not illuminated as such, I am thinking of either using the toggle switches with LEDs in which show you that they are on or if I cannot get a matching set of them, I will add some 'status' LEDs to the dash.

Regarding lighting them up at night, I have a plan taken from BMWs! They (the 530D) has a set of lights above the console near the rear-view mirror which light up the gear-stick area with a non-intrusive 'glow'.

Recognise the diagram components? :tongue0013:

Lots of parts on order!

Starting to put things together now, which is always nice.

B.jpg~original

Had to modify the spacer-plates for the adjustable spring plates as the holes were not exactly in the correct position. :?
Used my new favourite tool with a grinding attachment - Dremmel!

C.jpg~original

Zinc prepared, primed and painted.

D.jpg~original

Fitted and bolts torqued. I need to do the other side to push the torsion bars through properly.

I.jpg~original

Found a replacement sliding door middle hinge on VZi for a reasonable price. Started to take it apart to clean it up.

II.jpg~original

Replaced the bushes with some special copper ones I bought a while ago, which are supposed to greatly improve the mechanism operation.

III.jpg~original

1-1.jpg~original

Pulling the rear hubs apart.

3-1.jpg~original

2-1.jpg~original

Cleaning up.

4-1.jpg~original

Zinc prepped, primed and ready for paint.

Here is what was on the work list:

[*] Sliding Door Hinge - Find a replacement or fix the original - In Progress (Waiting for the new parts for the hinge to arrive so I can finish reconditioning it).
[/] Buy components for headlining along with the actual headlining - Complete
[/] Fit Headlining - Complete
[*] Wiring Loom diagram
[*] Wiring Loom component purchase
[*] Wiring Loom fabricate
[*] Fit Rear Adjustable Lowering Spring Plates from TransporterHaus - In progress

Completed the reconditioning and rebuild of the sliding door middle-hinge, all greased up and ready to be refitted (quite proud of this):

DSCF4361.jpg~original

DSCF4362.jpg~original

Fitted the second spring-plate (this is mid-way through as I was applying rubber grease on the arm end ready for the bush):

DSCF4333.jpg~original

Rebuilding the OS/Right rear hub with new bearings and fresh grease etc:

DSCF4355.jpg~original

DSCF4363.jpg~original

Even a reconditioned stud-axle which was very expensive (and I needed both :cry: )

DSCF4357.jpg~original

DSCF4360-1.jpg~original

Then I made myself comfortable and took the Diagonal / A-Arms off to replace the bushes:

DSCF4334.jpg~original

Old bush out:

DSCF4337.jpg~original

Red-Rubber grease:

DSCF4348.jpg~original

New one pressed in with the assistance of Record.

DSCF4353.jpg~original

All done, ready for the arm to be repainted (yes, I know I could / should have repainted the arm first before fitting the bush, but I knew I would need to be quite rough with it to get the old one out and the new one in and I did not want chipped paint, so I did it this way around):

DSCF4354.jpg~original

[/] Sliding Door Hinge - Find a replacement or fix the original - Complete!
[*] Fit Headlining extra material around windows
[*] Wiring Loom diagram
[/] Fit Rear Adjustable Lowering Spring Plates from TransporterHaus - Complete!
[*] Replace A-Arm / Diagonal-Arm bushes, repaint and refit - 50% done
[*] Rebuild rear hubs - 50 % done
[*] Rebuild rear brake drums - 25% done

cunning plan said:
hmm, been playing with it and it just will not idle... Anyone got anymore ideas of what to try or is it a compressionless engine that needs to be rebult?

:?:
As aogrady says probably grit in the idle circuit 'cos mine did it replaced the carb runs fine all I need to find out is how to clean grit out of the fekkin idle circuit!

subheatadey said:
cunning plan said:
hmm, been playing with it and it just will not idle... Anyone got anymore ideas of what to try or is it a compressionless engine that needs to be rebult?

:?:
As aogrady says probably grit in the idle circuit 'cos mine did it replaced the carb runs fine all I need to find out is how to clean grit out of the fekkin idle circuit!

Thanks dude, but you're a little behind with the thread as that was a long time ago, unfortunately, the engine hasn't been anywhere near the bus in years :sad0049:

Buss69 said:
Top work buddy, looking good 8) .
Wish I'd done something to mine, no chance :(

What is taking up your time right now buddy? Not work still? :cry:

2014-08-04.jpg~original

Shiny new stuff!

So, here we have LateBay backing plates (as you cannot buy EarlyBay backing plates) with standard EarlyBay '68>'70 cylinders, shoes, hand-brake cable and arm and the fitting kit. However, the shoes have been modified to allow them to sit in the angled adjusters.

cunning plan said:
2014-08-04.jpg~original

Shiny new stuff!

So, here we have LateBay backing plates (as you cannot buy EarlyBay backing plates) with standard EarlyBay '68>'70 cylinders, shoes, hand-brake cable and arm and the fitting kit. However, the shoes have been modified to allow them to sit in the angled adjusters.

Hi

Interested in this, i need new backing plates! So I use late bay plates and adjusters, and then just grind the shoes to fit? Seems simple enough, any thing else I need?

Great way by the way!

Cheers,

Alistair

aogrady said:
Hi

Interested in this, i need new backing plates! So I use late bay plates and adjusters, and then just grind the shoes to fit? Seems simple enough, any thing else I need?

Great way by the way!

Cheers,

Alistair

Sorry for the slow reply buddy, but yes, they *seem* to work OK, although I have not actually used them yet (as you can tell, the bus is not ready for the road yet).

This thread might help you (this conversion idea came from OzzieDog, although he changed the cylinder as well. I looked at it and decided that modifying the shoe should also work):

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=30814&start=20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Parts-wise, essentially, everything is EarlyBay, apart from the backing-plate. The only parts that you have to modify are the shoes. However, as I said, they have not been tested yet, but there is no reason that it should not work. I have also ensured that there is enough adjustment.

*Note: I am not liable for any damage or worse that comes from copying this idea. This is for educational purposes only. :msn4:

Continued work on the Headlining around the windows in preperation to install windows.

Protection paint
DSCF4371.jpg

Insulation
DSCF4372.jpg

MegaVan Mats have been amazing for the supply of material, adhesive and answering my trimming-related questions!
DSCF4374.jpg

The longer side without the slider. I did not want a break or joins, so I have had to use a really long piece of continuous material.
DSCF4376.jpg

DSCF4377.jpg

Measure, cut, glue, stretch, press. Repeat
DSCF4380.jpg

Completed fitting the rear left brake-drum shoes and hand-brake parts
DSCF4379.jpg

[*] Fit Headlining extra material around windows - 60% done.
[*] Wiring Loom diagram
[/] Replace A-Arm / Diagonal-Arm bushes, repaint and refit - Complete!
[/] Rebuild rear hubs - Complete!
[/] Rebuild rear brake drums - Complete!

New tasks:
[*] Paint rear drums
They are new, but I want a different finish as I don't want to have hub-caps / domes. I am going for the black, white and chrome look with original steelies.
[*] Fit rear drums
[*] Plan and purchase complete Hydraulic braking system
[*] Fit Complete Hydraulic braking system
[*] Fit Accelerator Cable

Looks like hard work but should make the interior a lot more plush 8)

Nice work :mrgreen:

It was starting to get a bit messy during the headlining side-install. :shock:

DSCF4382.jpg~original

DSCF4383.jpg~original

Now mostly complete apart from some tidying of edges, installing the hinge covers for the tail-gate and hiding the join between the top headlining and the side.

DSCF4389.jpg~original

DSCF4388.jpg~original

DSCF4387.jpg~original

The list now looks like this:

[90%] Fit Headlining extra material around windows (Need to tidy / Hinge covers / Cover joins)
[0%] Wiring Loom diagram (This was 10%, but now back to 0% for a change in direction.
[0%] Wiring Loom component purchase
[0%] Wiring Loom fabricate
[0%] Paint rear drums
[0%] Fit rear drums
[0%] Plan and purchase complete Hydraulic braking system
[0%] Fit Complete Hydraulic braking system
[0%] Fit Accelerator Cable
[0%] Rear Windows Tints
[0%] Rear Windows Install
[0%] Revise Front Axle / Brake Drums / Track-Rods / Re Torque all

:character0036:

:party0021: