Cunning Bus Project

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Headlining looks very nice :)
Love it when it goes down the sides too 8)

So I am currently on a self-imposed spending freeze, which is making work on the bus even slower than it was before. I am only fitting parts that I already have 'in stock' or other tasks that just require time rather than new parts.

I have had these hinge covers on the shelf for a while, which to be honest, I am not totally keen on, however, they are better than the metal hinge of the boot hatch and cover the necessary headlining cuts.

The other side for comparison - Open.

hingecovers1.jpg~original

The other side for comparison - Closed.

hingecovers2.jpg~original

hingecovers3.jpg~original

Half-closed.

hingecovers4.jpg~original

Clear and closed.

hingecovers5.jpg~original

The screws I am using are nice stainless ones, but I did not like the contrast between the headlining material, the plastic of the cover and the screws. So I found a number-plate cap-screw-cover and tried it on one of the screws, which I think looks better.

hingecovers6.jpg~original

I only had one cap though, so I will have to get some more :lol:

I will probably also try to put some more material into the gaps to make it look more integrated. Alternativly, another option would be to cover the hinge covers in the same material as the headlining.. Hmm, I might have a go :rocknroll:

___

[92%] Fit Headlining extra material around windows (Need to tidy / Hinge covers / Cover joins)
[0%] Wiring Loom diagram (This was 10%, but now back to 0% for a change in direction.
[0%] Wiring Loom component purchase
[0%] Wiring Loom fabricate
[0%] Paint rear drums
[0%] Fit rear drums
[0%] Plan and purchase complete Hydraulic braking system
[0%] Fit Complete Hydraulic braking system
[0%] Fit Accelerator Cable
[0%] Rear Windows Tints
[0%] Rear Windows Install
[0%] Revise Front Axle / Brake Drums / Track-Rods / Re Torque all

:(

I like those covers .....MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM Maybe

Good work there, keep going ,amazing what one can achieve when one has to. :lol: :lol:

J & P
:D :D :D

cunning plan said:
So I am currently on a self-imposed spending freeze, which is making work on the bus even slower than it was before. I am only fitting parts that I already have 'in stock' or other tasks that just require time rather than new parts.

I have had these hinge covers on the shelf for a while, which to be honest, I am not totally keen on, however, they are better than the metal hinge of the boot hatch and cover the necessary headlining cuts.

The other side for comparison - Open.

hingecovers1.jpg~original

The other side for comparison - Closed.

hingecovers2.jpg~original

hingecovers3.jpg~original

Half-closed.

hingecovers4.jpg~original

Clear and closed.

hingecovers5.jpg~original

The screws I am using are nice stainless ones, but I did not like the contrast between the headlining material, the plastic of the cover and the screws. So I found a number-plate cap-screw-cover and tried it on one of the screws, which I think looks better.

hingecovers6.jpg~original

I only had one cap though, so I will have to get some more :lol:

I will probably also try to put some more material into the gaps to make it look more integrated. Alternativly, another option would be to cover the hinge covers in the same material as the headlining.. Hmm, I might have a go :rocknroll:

___

[92%] Fit Headlining extra material around windows (Need to tidy / Hinge covers / Cover joins)
[0%] Wiring Loom diagram (This was 10%, but now back to 0% for a change in direction.
[0%] Paint rear drums
[0%] Fit rear drums
[0%] Rear Windows Tints

:(

Looking ace bud, if you don't like the colour of those covers try using Plastikote paints.

It's a really good idea to put a hold on spending, I've kind of done the same, only problem is my bus now has no wheels! :lol: Oh well that plans out the window :lol:

Buss69 said:
Looking ace bud, if you don't like the colour of those covers try using Plastikote paints.

I didn't think of the plastic paints, but that would have been another good alternative solution.

I went ahead and covered them with some spare headlining material.

It took me a few goes as it was difficult to stretch and press the material down to prevent ruffles, air-bubbles and ridges, especially on the corners where you have to stretch the material in different directions due to the convex and concave shapes. For such small pieces, they were quite 'technical' to do.

1_1.jpg~original

I mock fitted both covers before covering them and I am a little disappointed in the quality of the covers considering how much they cost (£45/50 IIRC). The right-side one was pretty good, but as you can see above, the left was not moulded correctly where it is skewed out of position, meaning that the holes do not line up correctly.

DSC_0697_1.jpg~original

DSC_0699.jpg~original

- A fork. Useful tool.

DSC_0701_1.jpg~original

Right-side complete.

2_1.jpg~original

Left-side complete.

3_1.jpg~original

Both sides installed.

4_1.jpg~original

I used black number-plate screw-caps to tidy the screws.

5.jpg~original

6.jpg~original

I think that looks much better than the dodgy white plastic covers. They looked a bit 'cheap'. :|
____

[100% Complete] Fit Headlining extra material around windows (Need to tidy / Hinge covers / Cover joins)
[0%] Paint rear drums
[0%] Fit rear drums
[0%] Rear Windows Tints

Smoooth work there. Wondering if hinge covers will go on with locker in place?
Another job..............mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :roll:
Nice job there sir.

J & P

cunning plan said:
Buss69 said:

I didn't think of the plastic paints, but that would have been another good alternative solution.

I went ahead and covered them with some spare headlining material.

It took me a few goes as it was difficult to stretch and press the material down to prevent ruffles, air-bubbles and ridges, especially on the corners where you have to stretch the material in different directions due to the convex and concave shapes. For such small pieces, they were quite 'technical' to do.

1_1.jpg~original

I mock fitted both covers before covering them and I am a little disappointed in the quality of the covers considering how much they cost (£45/50 IIRC). The right-side one was pretty good, but as you can see above, the left was not moulded correctly where it is skewed out of position, meaning that the holes do not line up correctly.

DSC_0697_1.jpg~original

DSC_0699.jpg~original

- A fork. Useful tool.

DSC_0701_1.jpg~original

Right-side complete.

2_1.jpg~original

Left-side complete.

3_1.jpg~original

Both sides installed.

4_1.jpg~original

I used black number-plate screw-caps to tidy the screws.

5.jpg~original

6.jpg~original

I think that looks much better than the dodgy white plastic covers. They looked a bit 'cheap'. :|
____

[100% Complete] Fit Headlining extra material around windows (Need to tidy / Hinge covers / Cover joins)
[0%] Paint rear drums
[0%] Fit rear drums
[0%] Rear Windows Tints

Dude those covers look excellent now, so, so much better. I noticed as well you mentioned you're changing direction for the wiring, what are you gonna do? Watson's-Street Works Loom maybe?

Dude those covers look excellent now, so, so much better. I noticed as well you mentioned you're changing direction for the wiring, what are you gonna do? Watson's-Street Works Loom maybe?[/quote]

Thanks buddy :mrgreen:

Wiring loom has fallen down the list, but still probably one of the next major projects to complete.

____

Update:

Started to get the front axle organised and make a list of parts and tasks.

2015-04-18.jpg~original

DSC_0802.jpg~original

Labelled all of the various tubes to make installation a bit easier.

DSC_0801.jpg~original

Whilst I was there, I installed a new accelerator cable that I have had on the shelf for a while after filling the tube with loads of Lithium grease to help the cable slip in (teeheehee) and protect it. Although, I was not happy that the end of the cable tube was quite open and sat in a position on the chassis that seemed like it could let dirt and water in. So I extended the tube with some rubber fuel hose to provide more protection.

The underside looks amazing and the rear suspension and brakes look mint. Have to say you doing yours has motivated me to do mine. So is your underside undersea or POR15?

As far as your loom goes have you contacted Autosparks or maybe even Watsons Street Works in the US? I'm pretty sure Autosparks have a range of add ons for extras on their looms. Worth a chat anyway.

Buss69 said:
The underside looks amazing and the rear suspension and brakes look mint. Have to say you doing yours has motivated me to do mine. So is your underside undersea or POR15?

Really? Thanks :oops: :mrgreen: So I'm copying you and your loom and you're copying my chassis :lol:

The underside is Schultz mixed with underseal. I think you need a proper air compressor and spray-gun setup to spray it, so it was done at Dubs and Classics.

Buss69 said:
As far as your loom goes have you contacted Autosparks or maybe even Watsons Street Works in the US? I'm pretty sure Autosparks have a range of add ons for extras on their looms. Worth a chat anyway.

Thanks for the head's up! :shadey:

Managed to progress with some projects on the bus last week, but I have only just had a chance to upload the pictures and update this thread.

Overview.jpg~original

Hbrake%20Shifter%20Mockup.jpg~original

The first job was to mock-up the Handbrake mechanism. Whilst I was there, it seemed a shame to leave the gear-stick out of the fun, so I mocked that up as well! :mrgreen:

Hbrake%20Cable%20too%20short.jpg~original

The cables look like they will be too short by around 30mm, for some reason. I have checked a few times and they are routed correctly and they cannot be the wrong cables, Later Bay ones for example, as those cables are much shorter as they finish under the cab area and then attach to a load divider bar. These cables get all the way to almost where they should be, but I doubt they will reach the handbrake fixing points. The brake-drum shoes are not tight at all, loose in-fact!.

I think I will extend the threaded bar. :|

BM%20Light%20Drying.jpg~original

Whilst I was at it, testing the multi-tasking skills, we removed, dismantled, dried, cleaned, resealed and reinstalled a 5-Series headlight in an attempt to stop condensation.

Vent%20Delete.jpg~original

The next task was to grind off part of the old metal heater-tube ducting. There are a few reasons for this, firstly, it is old and metal, the metal attracts condensation and rust etc. Secondly, it opens up some chassis space near the front beam. Lastly, it is a slight / minuet weight saving. The plan is to run a separate Eberspacher-type heater further back on the chassis, then use plastic, flexible piping to move the heat and airflow forward, connecting onto the bottom of the Totem-pole in the cab, then distributed either on to the screen or back into the rest of the bus.

Vent%20Delete%202.jpg~original

Tools ready.

Vent%20Delete%203.jpg~original

Complete.

Vent%20Delete%204.jpg~original

Space! Notice the lower half of the cab Totem-pole remains. This will get cleaned up and temporally blocked, ready for the new plastic tubing in the future.

Totempole%20Base.jpg~original

Talking of the Totem-pole, here is the lower fixing which was slightly bent at the back for some reason.

Totempole%20Base%202.jpg~original

So some gentle tapping massaged it back into a circle shape.

Project Progress:
[0%] Wiring Loom diagram. (I really need to start finding some time to begin planning this).
[0%] Wiring Loom component purchase. (Waiting on above)
[0%] Wiring Loom fabricate. (Waiting on above)
[0%] Paint rear drums.
[0%] Fit rear drums.
[0%] Plan and purchase complete Hydraulic braking system.
[0%] Fit Complete Hydraulic braking system.
[100% Complete] Fit Accelerator Cable.
[0%] Accelerator Peddle Components. (Going to look at Buttys Bits for this as I have read good things about his conversion kit).
[0%] Rear Windows Tints.
[0%] Rear Windows Install.
[5%] Revise Front Axle / Brake Drums / Track-Rods / Re Torque all.
[10%] Handbrake Mechanism.
[5%] Chassis Tidy (Annoying one, which delays progress. There are some areas of the chassis (more than I was expecting) which could do with tidying / sealing. Some of the joins are not as close / tidy as they should be, which I think will become a water trap.

gas1man said:
All going according to plan then................ :lol: :lol: :lol:
Keep up the good work.

J & P

:lol: Exactky :roll: :| :shadey: :satanlook:

Just thought of the deck-lid seal!

Project Progress:
[0%] Wiring Loom diagram. (I really need to start finding some time to begin planning this).
[0%] Paint rear drums.
[0%] Fit rear drums.
[100% Complete] Fit Accelerator Cable.
[0%] Accelerator Peddle Components. (Going to look at Buttys Bits for this as I have read good things about his conversion kit).
[0%] Rear Windows Tints.
[10%] Handbrake Mechanism.
[5%] Chassis Tidy (Annoying one, which delays progress. There are some areas of the chassis (more than I was expecting) which could do with tidying / sealing. Some of the joins are not as close / tidy as they should be, which I think will become a water trap.
[0%] Fit Deck-Lid / Engine hatch seal

monkeyvanwestybike said:
Nice work there!
I wish I had a double Garage :)

Thanks! It's not mine, but it makes working on the bus much more convenient for sure.

Handbrake

HBrake%201.jpg~original

After removing any traces of rust from the Handbrake leaver, I repainted it, then sealed the back with silicone sealant, whilst leaving a small section open to allow and condensation to drain. I decided to do this as the bottom quarter of the leaver is exposed to the road and will accumulate water and dirt, leading to more rust. It just seemed logical to seal it up.

HBrake%202.jpg~original

All dry, ready to be installed.

HBrake%203.jpg~original

Installed on a new pivot pin with new clips and fresh grease.

HBrake%204.jpg~original

Moves smoothly.

Engine Bay / Deck Lid Repair

Rear%20Hatch%20Repair.jpg~original

I was about to install the deck-lid rubber when I noticed that the lip which holds the rubber was bent.

Rear%20Hatch%20Repair%202.jpg~original

So, I gently tapped it back into shape using an Allen-key as a mould, which, seemed to work well.

Rear%20Hatch%20Repair%203.jpg~original

However, the tapping cracked some of the protection paint, therefore I had to key and degrease it ready for another top-coat.

Engine Bay / Deck Lid Rubber Seal

Deck%20Lid%20Seal%201.jpg~original

This rubber seal came with the bus when I bought it. It was new and in a bag with 'Engine Lid Seal '68-'70' on the label, so I assume it is the correct one. However, the seal was one complete piece, which meant that the removable valance would pull the whole seal with it when it was removed for access to the engine. I decided to cut the seal at an angle and install the seal as a two piece, one on the Engine Bay surround and one on the valance.

Deck%20Lid%20Seal%202.jpg~original

The angle of the cuts should mean that the seal joins and seals when the Deck-lid is closed.

Project Progress:
[3%] Wiring Loom diagram.
[0%] Paint rear drums.
[0%] Fit rear drums.
[0%] Rear Windows Tints.
[70%] Handbrake Mechanism.
[80%] Fit Deck-Lid / Engine hatch seal

Managed to find time for the bus??????????? :lol:
Busy boy at work then , which is a good thing!!!!!!!! Helps pay the bus bills :lol: :lol:

Looking good!!!As always

J & P

gas1man said:
Managed to find time for the bus??????????? :lol:

I know :lol: I always feel that 'slow' is not a strong enough word for the speed of my project :sign0001:

As you say though, work has to come first :cry:

Latest posts