cv joint spacers for 1303 gearbox fit.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dready71

Reaction score
Anyone know how thick spacers need to be when using a 1303 gearbox with beetle cv joints? I have made the gearbox mount so the bellhousing will sit in exactly the same position as original. There is approx 1 inch difference in position of drive shafts compared to standard bus box. Have heard some guys use golf mk2 cv's at inner ends but these would need trekker type output flanges 100mm pcd???

From memory when I fitted my 1303s box, I used golf mk2 inner CV joints, mounted onto early bay drive shafts, they fitted perfectly, but are a bit narrower so I fitted two snap rings to take up the slack, I have been told that the 1303 cv joint will it on perfectly as it is the same thickness as the early bay CV joint but I have never compared them.

Yeah I know that bug, bus and golf cv joints will go on the splines of the shaft, what i really need to know is , are the golf cv's the same diameter and bolt pcd as bug ones? ie will they bolt straight up to the gearbox output flanges?

Having problems uploading images. Maybe I could email them to you?? I have made the basic mount for nosecone attachment but may add a further brace to attach further back to help take some strain off the front mount

ahh, you have reminded me of something now, the stud pastern is the same, but I think the CV joint has to go on a particular way to make sure it fits inside the seat on the gearbox.

I'll pm you my email now.

Mark

Latest posts