DAB radio, crap or not?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lcfmonkey

Reaction score
A couple of years ago I was buying a sound system for the Golf and was warned off a dab radio by the bloke in the shop; the signal would be shite he said so I opted for a system with an iPod connection. I'm now looking to sort the camper out and would like to know if anyone has had success with running a DAB sys
tem in their van?
Cheers
Monkey

Got Sony dab in my van and is very good,really miss not having the clarity and choice in my daily.

Not Crap for me !

I have one of These & absolutely love it !, nicely hidden in the glovebox & I use the supplied remote to control it.

A good FM radio will P**s all over DAB as it is broadcast at the moment. Any digital music will be poor in comparison to a good analogue signal unless there is a very high bit rate output.

However a good DAB signal will sound much better than a poor FM signal.

Internet radio can be better than DAB because you can get some stations on a reasonable bit rate.

It is like comparing CD to vinyl. Vinyl played on the right system will sound better than CD.

Also like comparing CD to ITunes, iTunes is at 256 and a CD is many times that.

Got a kenwood DAB in my daily and love it.

6Music, Absolute 90s and Planet Rock are my reasons for not listening to FM anymore!

the wife has a stock DAB radio in her new golf, and its great to be able to drive along listening to 6 music.
But as Faux said, you either have signal or not but it is definitely better than it was 10 years ago when it first came out.

Yep got a DAB in my MK6 Golf and its great, 6 music on it all the time :)

Got a portable DAB radio at the unit and reception is intermittent (often weather dependant) but I can put up with that if its mean I can 6 music.

Use DAB in the daily too. Have just bought DAB head unit for the van but not fitted yet. Did suggest to the missus better to go for DAB rather than not, just in case it is actually required in the future :msn4: . Sounded good but no idea if there really is any threat of obsolescence in the medium term.

Bought a Pioneer DAB for my bus, haven't fitted it yet but it does have ipod connectivity so by the sound of it (no pun intended) the ipod will be on more than the DAB.

I installed a Pioneer x6500DAB head unit last week and I'm well impressed. Signal is decent and makes for a great setup with the ipod capabilities, happy days :D

Latest posts