Daisy's New Life in Oxfordshire

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rpp123456

Reaction score
Thought it was time to record 'Daisy's' (named by kids) new life in Oxfordshire following her long trip from New Mexico, US, last summer. After months of dreaming and trawling through EarlyBay (and thelatebay) i got in touch with John aka theovalguy in Texas, US. We spotted an advert on 'The Samba' and John worked his magic on the seller and a few months later she was on the way over here. Here are a few recent photos of her, sitting on the drive......
IMG_0603.jpg

IMG_0602.jpg

IMG_0604.jpg

As you can see, on the face of it she looked in good nick. She is completely solid underneath, which was my main criteria, as well as having a fairly recent blow-over, up top. Some shots of her in New Mexico prior to purchase:
404.jpg

303.jpg

20.jpg

We also got an original awning (still haven't opened yet), mostquito net and front cab bunk which was a nice bonus.
After a few days, I started to have a go at things myself. I repalced the fusebox, as the old bakerlite one has cracked all the way down the middle.....here is the new one.
IMG_0521.jpg

I also dropped the engine (with a view to sorting the engine out) and also to get at the fuel tank, that i knew was full of crud.
After getting the fuel tank out, i inspected the tank and saw about half an inch of dried treacle (fuel) that has obviously been sitting there a while. So after finding a relatively gunk-free second-hand one, i treated it to a POR-15 kit from Frosts. This was a 3-step clean, strip and seal system and the results were better than expected.
I also swapped the lights/indicators over from US spec to UK for the MoT keeping the original US spec rear lenses instu and sacraficing any reverse lights.
However, although she ran, it soon became apparent that she needed a new engine and gearbox, as well as suspension and brake work.
This was carried-out by a local garage and was then sent to Pete Williams aka 'Pete Nice' in Surrey for a newish engine (new factory unit that had only covered 700 miles) and a second-hand gearbox. He also carried-out various bits to her including another solex carb, cutting an inspection hatch for the fuel sender, new fuel sender, alternator conversion, new clutch and starter motor.

So, having her land in early Oct, it took until late March (no fault of Pete's) before she was MoT'd, registered and in a fit state for me to be able to drive her back from Guildford on her first trip home....an interesting trip to say the least, with little fuel, no map and first experince of driving a van. :shock:

Although we didn't have any service history or the like with the van we did find amonst other things two of these in the back....
IMG_0612.jpg

Haha, who needs stamped service books when you have these to tell you a bit about the previous uses :lol:
Other things included, a old toy car, a old hair comb, ring pulls, pens, etc.

Once she was back, and after a 200-mile trouble-free round trip to Volksworld, i started tinkering. First job was to strip the interior to fit new cushions/curtains. Once out i thought i would also replace the interior side ply panels as these were stained and cracked, so ended up stripping all the interior out. This is what it was like underneath the floor and wall panels.
IMG_0616.jpg

I was happy as it was just surface rust and solid as a rock, as the underside was. After a good clean it looked like this:
IMG_0633.jpg

with the worst rust being around the seat mountings.

While it was all out, i took shots of the cavities, etc. Looked good to me with zero rust:
IMG_0636.jpg

IMG_0637.jpg

I looked into various rust products and finally chose KBS Frame kit, with a clean solution, primer and sealer in off-white (although it is still very white). After using the prep products, i was starting to worry that it hadn't worked. It was better in some areas than others:
good.......
IMG_0644.jpg

not so good......
IMG_0645.jpg

and 3 topcosts of the sealer, this is what it looked like.....
IMG_0648.jpg

I am happy with the finish. I took my time rollering on the first two coats giving them a thin coat each. By the third coat i was brushing it on quite liberaly. Although i still bear the paint stains on my hands that will not come off. Top Tip: Remove any stains spillages asap and definately before it dries. I did get it off my hands and assumed that the rest would come off when i finished - It didn't!
In the meantime, i have also added a new shiny gear knob (mooneyes) my mate bought me, a cab mat, and a new Retrosound stereo, although not connected yet.

IMG_0611.jpg

IMG_0639.jpg

I had also purchased a Firetec system before she arrived which i have since fitted. Never can be too carfeul!

IMG_0640.jpg

IMG_0642.jpg

Next jobs are new ply flooring, with conduit for speakers, wires, etc, insulation, sound proofing, continental bed, security system, over-riders, lowering, wheels, seat belts, etc, etc.

Really nice bus, looks like you have have found a solid base for a lot of fun :D
Keep the photos coming...

Cool looking bus there..!! Good work on the floor to..!! 8)

Next on the list was insulation in the side cavitied and some cavity wax. Used celotex rigit board insulation - 25mm from memory. Used some yacht wax stuff which went on really well.

IMG_0658.jpg

IMG_0659.jpg

IMG_0655.jpg

I laid some laminate floor insulation (from wickes) on top of the newly painted floor and then put some new 9mm then 6mm ply down coated in danish lemon oil (to add some waterproofing). These were cut using the old templates, followed by a quick sand down.

IMG_0660.jpg

IMG_0667.jpg

I felt that i wanted to add some soundproofing, so i bought some roof flashing, again from Wickes and laid it on the vertical face of the engine wall. It went on in strips and went on well. A quick blow from the hairdryer helped here.

IMG_0665.jpg

Next job i decided to do was replace the side and roof panels, as the original were looking a bit worse for wear due to water leaks and delamination of the face of the ply. They had also been re-varnished a some point during their life and were a bit dark and orange for our tastes, so i looked at repalcing them with some lighter ones to lighten up the interior.

I looked at various places that sold 'made to order' panels that although looked good, were expensive for some bits of ply. After days of searching, i managed to find a local place (in Oxford - WG Powell) that sold - importantly, 5x5ft '3mm' ply panels (and who also delivered as i worked out that they wouldnt fit into the van) that meant that they were both flexible and large enough to cover the width of the roof panels.
After tracing the shape of each of the panels, cutting and sanding, i set about treating the ply. I first tried a couple of light wood dyes, mainly to try and get the orange tint out of the ply. The best one i found was this one:

IMG_0670.jpg

Then followed with three coats of this water-based wood clear varnish (again from Wickes),

IMG_0671.jpg

I then clipped them into place when dry. We were pleased with the results.

IMG_0676.jpg

IMG_0669.jpg

Next i laid the Matmatz floor tiles that everyone has seen before. Luckily i worked out fairly quickly that if i took the newly laid ply floor (which wasnt fixed down yet) and setout the tiles. With the edge tiles, rather than trying to measure and cut i found that i could lay the tile so that they overhung the edges. I then used a stanley knife on the reverse side and used the edge of the ply as a guide to trim a nice smooth edge.

IMG_0675.jpg

IMG_0674.jpg

Then started the process of refixing the Westy furniture and fitting out new set of covers and curtains ordered from Dolly Daydream on here.

IMG_0688.jpg

IMG_0689.jpg

After all this, we were getting there. Bought some beige seatbelts to fix next.

dubscum said:
i found Jonny's in mine too :shock:

I'm not sure if knowing who the johnnies belonged to would make things better or worse! ;)

Latest posts