Danbury Dave

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HelN

Reaction score
8931_155348755782_640440782_3932944.jpg

As he was last summer on a tour of the South West coast.

Restoration pictures so far...
CIMG1410.jpg

CIMG1411.jpg

CIMG1414.jpg

CIMG1416.jpg

CopyofCIMG1410.jpg

CIMG1417.jpg

CIMG1421.jpg

Hi Heln and welcome! :D

Did you buy Dave off someone from this forum? The reason I ask is that he looks familiar.

Anyway, tin-top crossover Danburys are the way forward!

Have you got any more pre-restoration pics (interior too) that I can drool over?
From what I can see, in the bottom pic, the interior is original. :)

Doug

Hello there Danbury Doug!

I saw him advertised on the Volksworld site and then got directed to the 'for sale' bit here. I bought him from a nice gentleman last summer. I think the guy even mentioned you 'posting' as a keen Danbury fan!

Yes the interior is original, keeping all original that I can in the resto. The interior will go back in as it was, will post some pics when it does. Hoping that it will be finished before March :)

Yes Danburys are in my blood Heln, as I was brought up with one, bought brand new by my folks! :mrgreen:

I think some of the pics of yours, when it was up for sale, showed it in the snow up an airy mountain somewhere, if I remember correctly!

I'm glad you are keeping the interior original. They may be basic, but they work and have stood the test of time!
You'll be able to replace any missing items fairly easily.

I look forward to seeing the progress. :D

Hello Helen! ;)

I got all excited a while ago driving down your street because I thought there was a new bay in town, then I put two and two together the other day talking to Mif and realised it was your bus! :lol:

Nice buy and keep us posted (no pun intended :shock: ) as to how the renovation goes :D

Some more recent pics...

CIMG1439.jpg

CIMG1446.jpg

CIMG1440.jpg

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m183/hel_N/CIMG1437.jpg[/img

Apologies for the poor quality, think the flash picked up the dust!

He is now almost ready for the respray, currently debating whether to keep the top half pastel white and bottom chianti red or go all the way up to the roof with the red?! Hmmm...

Ah Rosko / Rosko Rosbif's van (the clue is on the tailgate) ;)

updamountains015.jpg

updamountains010.jpg

updamountains009.jpg

Looks a nice van HelN, and well cared for :mrgreen:

Yep, those were the pics I remember originally seeing of it. They reminded me of my folks' Danbury, when we used to trudge up the snowy mountains in it, many years ago! :D

Hey look at that! Wow! 8)

I'm glad you decided to keep the white as it was originally, and have lost the wheel on the front, and also reinstated the Danbury badge. They often don't get put back on, following restos.

I was going to ask you to put up an interior pic, but you've done it anyway. All familliar there, right down to the usual missing cover on the interior lamp. :mrgreen:

I see you've got a later type engine lid catch. My folks' Danbury had the same. The reason was, back in the summer of 1983 we went to the south of France, and my dad had forgotten to bring the key for the engine lid (not sure why he didn't carry it on the bunch). He knew that sooner or later he'd be needing to check/top up the oil, and sure enough the oil light started flickering. The local dealer couldn't get in, and the only way the local locksmilth could, was by drilling out the barrel. :lol:

Anyway, I digress. Lovely job, and I bet you're over the moon! :D

Thanks Doug, looking forward to my first shiny camp soon. :D

I was browsing some old VW magazines recently and found an article featured about you and your bus, like it- very original, which I am always a fan of!

Cheers Heln. :D I was over the moon to have had that article. Dave Eccles loved its originality too, which is what prompted him to do the feature.
The original curtains are a bit threadbare now, but they still just about 'work'. :lol:

I hope you've been out and enjoying your nice shiny bus!

Already two camps done :D

Went to Stanford Hall at the weekend to pick up a few bits.

Does anyone know which kick panels I need? Early or late? Being a crossover can be confusing! :oops:

Wow Helen looks superb! I was absolutely gutted to sell but looking at those pics shows he couldn't have gone to a better home, exactly the resto that van deserved. I found the spare keys that I promised you but lost your address in the general chaos last summer, if you PM me I'll get them in the post asap.

Couldn't bear to come on here for a while after selling but am now planning a new van, just need to sell my coccinelle first. Couldn't help checking on the Danburys and seeing the job you've done has put a huge smile on my face- they never did LHD Danburys though did they Doug?

Hello rosko, he does look fab doesn't he!

I know how you must feel, seeing your old bus. If I ever came across the original Danbury that my parents had, and it was restored to the same original condition as Dave, I think I would sell my house for it! :D

Re LHD Danburys, no, they didn't produce them, or at least if they did they would have been to special order, but I've never yet come across one.
I know there is someone on here who was recently selling his LHD bus, in which he had installed a complete Danbury interior, even down to the little black plastic curtain tie-backs! Quite a nice bus actually. :)

Might be worth thinking about.. get a nice dry US import LHD deluxe microbus with a wrecked interior and install the top class ultra-flexible Danbury seating arrangement.

Could be a new sub-species of fake Danburys- the Fanbury.