Day trips.... decent picnic/bbq/chillin spots, North Essex

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pearl69

Reaction score
Hi Chaps,
Now our restoration is 90% complete and on the road, 'er indoors' wants a couple of local days out before we go further afield.
I'm struggling to find any decent places where you can pull up and picnic/ bbq etc next to the Bus (and I don't mean a layby on the A12)
We are in North essex, any recommended beaches/ Parks/ woods etc not too far away?

Manningtree along the water is nice but you need to check the tide also you will be on the road.
Dedham is also very nice.
What part of Essex are you?

danban said:
Manningtree along the water is nice but you need to check the tide also you will be on the road.
Dedham is also very nice.
What part of Essex are you?
Hi Dan, thanks for posting, we are in Cressing, near braintree.
We go to Dedham quite a bit , and love it, but you have leave your vehicle in the car park and walk to the decent picnic spots.
We also go to Hatfield Forrest, no bbq a allowed but there are a few large grass areas where you can park up , set the sunshade up and chill by the bus whilst the kids run around.
Haven't been to manning tree, will look into that

Hi - picketts lock in Danbury is nice, also Aldburgh, Walton has some nice spots

The field just before the entrance to Kentwell Hall in Long Melford is a lovely place to pitch up and have a picnic. Then its a short walk down and up the high street at the many different buildings and little shops. Quite a picturesque setting.

Also, Mersea Island has some nice spots to park up on and picnic whilst overlooking the sea/beach/harbour where the yachts are.

Try Cudmore Grove, East Mersea. about 7 miles from Colchester and they allow bar-b-q's.
http://www.visitparks.co.uk/places/cudmore-grove/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Adrian

Hi guys, thanks for the messages.
@Simo....do you mean Paper Mill Lock in Danbury? If so haven't been there for years. We normally go to Frinton if we are doing the beach, but havnt taken the bus yet. We are camping for a long weekend near Aldeburgh weekend after next
@cockney.....saw your orange bus at Dans place a while ago, very nice, looks like you have sold it though, got plans for another?
I know Long Meltord but not Kentwel Hall - will look that one up.
@Adrian.....tried Cudmore Grove last Sunday, was really impressed, nice grass field to park in, people doing picnics and small bbq's, nice walks etc, it worked very well, the kids loved it, we will be going back. Spotted quite a few other buses on the journey too.

Yep paper mill lock lol - for some reason i always get it wrong - but i know wot i mean :lol:
Went there sunday as it happens, very nice ;)
You prob know it then but when you go into Walton , hit the sea and turn left and right at the far end there is a great grassy car park thats ideal picnic territory 8)

Clare castle country park is a good place to go for a picnic for a few hours.
http://www.suffolk.gov.uk/assets/suffolk.gov.uk/Environment%20and%20Transport/Conservation%20and%20Preservation/WelcometoClareCastleCountryPark.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Take kids bikes,scooters, football ,bread for the ducks etc .
I'm always taking my daughter there, she loves the kids park and riding around by the river. It's very popular at weekends.

Latest posts