Deluxe side trim

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kinga

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just wondered if anyone has had any experience of aftermarket deluxe side trim - where did you get it from, what was it like to fit (& how well did it fit?) and what sort of quality it was?

Also, why did the trim change from 72?

Mine is a crossover, so a 71 but I see there is a different kit for up to 72 & 72 onwards - just wondered which one I need & what the difference is?

Thanx

Not sure on the aftermarket trim but the aftermarket plastic trim clips can be troublesome. Unlike the metal ones they normally snap the first time you wanna remove the trim or if you press too hard when fitting.

If you have existing older trim, try and save the original clips. Good tip to stop rust as well put a bit clear silicone sealant in the screw hole before you screw the clip on.

Mines a 70 and I think the crossovers 71 etc have different rear corner trims and the later rears are a little less rounded?

If you have some original trim youd be surprised how well they come up, mine were pretty bad and with a bit autosol they are much better

Thanks Webbaldo - my bus doesn't currently have an deluxe trim fitted, so I am fitting from scratch.

I have trim, from status, new, Un- fitted, my bus is a 71 but with older style rear vents & lights is that the same as yours?

Hi Kinga, We are fitting deluxe trim to our 69 tintop in the next few months, please let us know how you get on, photos would be nice

hart5lizard - no - my bus is a 71 but is the 'crossover' model so has larger rear lights at larger rear vents, but the front is the same.

i am still trying to find out what the difference is, and whether mine should be an early or a late deluxe trim set - are you fitting yours, or would you consider selling it (assuming it will fit mine!).

vinvan - yes, I will update you.

I did fit some 'stick-on' waistline trim to my 72 late bay a couple of years back - it looked as good as the real thing from 10 feet & the joys are (1) you don;t have to drill any holes in the side of your van & (2) you can always take it off if your mood changes!

I have bought a large roll of the stuff, enough to do 2 complete vans as i was going to do mine with this stuff again, but I don't thing it would be doing the right thing for the bus, as it is very original & mint.

So, I will have 2 lots of stick on deluxe trim for sale in the near future.

Here's the link to mine (I still meet up with the new owner of the bus & it is still as good 3 years on)...(although the price has gone up somewhat - i did but some cheap stuff, but I sent it back as it was crap so I have sourced some decent stuff now)

http://thelatebay.com/index.php?threads/diy-deluxe-trim.40623/

Hi Kinga
I had my trim from C&C new, fitted to my bus which also never had it fitted from factory, if you take your time and be methodical about it you shouldn't have an issue. I found it all plain sailing tbh.. I would recommend fitting the rear corners last, these will need a little twisting/shaping, by fitting them last you can keep offering them up to the bus (without fitting the clips) and the already fitted trim till you are happy. Once happy I popped the clips into the corner trim and dabbed a little engineers blue onto the clips , place trim carefully into position and apply a little pressure to leave a blue mark on the bus showing exactly where to drill for the clips.. simples

Hope that makes sense :?

Liam

Hi Liam,

Many thanks - just heard some mention of clips breaking - just need to find out whether I need an early or a late set now!

Ade.

kinga said:
Hi Liam,

Many thanks - just heard some mention of clips breaking - just need to find out whether I need an early or a late set now!

Ade.

I never broke any.. but obviously I'd read the same as you, so worked carefully :shock:
L

When I had some resto work done I had the guy fit Deluxe trim. He said he got it from Just Kampers IIRC and to be honest it's crap. There are broken clips all over and it's like foil. If you forget yourself and push the sliding door or cab door shut while pressing on the trim (it's surprisingly instinctive to reach for the midline bulge when doing this...) it will be flat. Unless there is a clip under there then you will see the shape of the clip...

I should also mention that the guy who did the work was a complete tool so didn't help the case but in reality, having seen the real thing up close, the stuff I have is nothing like he quality or even profile shape of the original trim. To be honest I wish I'd found the stick on stuff mentioned above before doing this as having holes all down the side is quite stressful. Just think how all those Mk 3 Cortinas and Ford Granadas used to rust along the side strip!

Find some original stuff f you can...

I got stainless steel trim from ISP West when I had my resto done in 2012 and it's still as shiny as the day it was fitted, have a look at my 71 Danbury thread. It's much stronger than the aluminium stuff others sell. There was also some discussion on another thread about plastic/metal fixings
I see that ISP West still do the kit, scroll down about halfway down the page, pricey though
https://www.vwispwest.com/search?sq=molding+kit

thanks for the heads up guys - so, will try & avoid JK stuff, which I hear form people is usually crap as a rule. Cheap, but crap.

I have heard ISP stuff is usually quite good, but i have never bought anything from abroad & am worried about getting stung for import duty?

By the time you convert the dollars to pounds, its not much more than the JK stuff.

Latest posts