Devon Moonraker Kombi With Double slider, who knows more ...

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bananacustard said:
Hi Karl, nice to see you on here, welcome to the 'Devon Anoraks Club' 8)

Get some pics of yours up in the gallery.

J

Its getting bad mate...... :lol:

Ok Guy's post some pic's of your Devon Campers and Double sliders.... I need some motivation :D

Havent got any pics of mine as yet due to the camera freaking out at the sight of it and running into the distance screaming!

Here's some motivation for the interior Geoff.

Think your going to need a bit of varnish.
DSCF0452.jpg

DSCF0453.jpg

DSCF0461.jpg

DSCF0460.jpg

DSCF0455.jpg
DSCF0459.jpg

DSCF0441.jpg

Good luck with the resto, very rare and interesting van.

J

bananacustard, Thanks for the pic's! Great looking Bus!

More orig pic's

http://www.devonmoonraker.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/bay/1971_Brochure.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Had a good look at the interior ( or what's left of it) today, not much is savesble. It's been wet inside there for many years and most of the rear kit is useless as well the roof is leaking from the center sky light. She just may get a different interior... And roof.

Hi GeoffP

I managed to have a chat with my 'Devon man' at the weekend. Unfortunately, He wasnt able to tell me anymore
than you probably already know. :(

He recalls several twin sliders for conversion primarily to 9 & 12 seater minibuses and one or two returning to be 'reconverted'
as campers at a later date (RHD). He also remembers a few LHD camper conversions (RH slider) being comissioned.
But he thinks a LHD twin slider devon camper conversion from new would have been a pretty rare beast!

He mentioned about the Eurec conversions (devons distributed by the pon dealership and rebadged as 'Eurec' the
pandora version having a swing out cooker) but i believe these were on later vans? and yours has a Ramsgate destination!

Im sorry to hear yout interior and roof are not salvageable, but im sure it will be a great van whatever you decide to do
and look forward to seeing it. Good Luck! :)

junkyardjim said:
Hi GeoffP

I managed to have a chat with my 'Devon man' at the weekend. Unfortunately, He wasnt able to tell me anymore
than you probably already know. :(

He recalls several twin sliders for conversion primarily to 9 & 12 seater minibuses and one or two returning to be 'reconverted'
as campers at a later date (RHD). He also remembers a few LHD camper conversions (RH slider) being comissioned.
But he thinks a LHD twin slider devon camper conversion from new would have been a pretty rare beast!

He mentioned about the Eurec conversions (devons distributed by the pon dealership and rebadged as 'Eurec' the
pandora version having a swing out cooker) but i believe these were on later vans? and yours has a Ramsgate destination!

Im sorry to hear yout interior and roof are not salvageable, but im sure it will be a great van whatever you decide to do
and look forward to seeing it. Good Luck! :)

Thanks for asking about my Van. All very good info! As for the interior and roof, anything is fixable so I'll hold off a while before I tear into it.

It's been a long time but I pulled the Devon out of storage a couple days ago... Gave the body a good going over. It has only a few small areas of rust in it but has had some accident damage in the pass door side. The wheel well was replaced as well as the door. It has a opening vent wing now on the right side and should have a stationary window. Anyone have a spare?
The engine compartment was badly butcherd when someone installed a Pinto engine in it. I have a nice 2.0 porsche 911 six that would work great in it but i'm still torn if I should go back to stock.

Anyway, I hope to blast a few areas this week and post some pics.

junkyardjim said:
12 seater??

As for the random decals; the first is Switzerland which leads me to think that the second would be one of the regional coats of arms.

Well with Fall setting in quick and the sunny days getting few and far between I decided to try and get some of the rust issues taken care of. When it rains in Vancouver it rains for months! So it was important to get the small areas blasted on a good day and get it home before the rain set in again.

I found a nose section a few months back, it's not perfect but will work well for the areas I need. To save tme blasting I used paint stripper to get it almost bare.

nose1.jpg

that was the first or second coat, four coats and I was thru all four layers of paint.

nose2.jpg

Here's a close up shot of the outer table mount, has anyone seen one on a Devon like this before?
It has a simple but well made strip of alum on the back to give it some added support.

table1.jpg

Lower track for the tent..
table2.jpg

Unfortunatly in it's former life it had a Pinto engine in it. They mounted a radiator on the side...

rad1.jpg

a new donor part was located... now time to start welding it on.

rad2.jpg

Some lower rot in the rockers and quarters was also cut out before I headed to the blaster, more to come.

Just one quick pic at the blaster. No big suprises, just a few small areas of rust that are getting repaired this week.

devon.jpg

Latest posts