Devon veneer what is it ?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monty

Reaction score
I have been trying (unsuccessfully) to get a Devon wardrobe (the one behind the drivers seat) for a while so have now drawn up a template from a friends and will get one built over the winter

However I am not sure which veneer was used on the original Devon interior parts

Can anyone shed a light on this one for me ?

Many thanks in advance

I cannot be absolutely positive, however I restored my 1969 Torvette interior last winter and found that once sanded the veneer appeared to be a mid oak shade.

I got the most consistent finish by applying a Danish oil finish over a Ronseal mid oak stain. The stain seemed to level the various shades that had developed over years of wear and tear that even sanding could not shift without fear of damaging the veneer, whilst the oil gives the finish a nice lustre that is water resistant yet not varnished, very similar to the original finish.

Thanks Kevin

Much appreciated

Any idea what sort of oak (English, European or American)?

Sorry, no idea. That did not even cross my mind, but then again I was not attempting to replace the actual veneer.

Good luck. And do tell when you find out.

Monty said:
I have been trying (unsuccessfully) to get a Devon wardrobe (the one behind the drivers seat) for a while so have now drawn up a template from a friends and will get one built over the winter

However I am not sure which veneer was used on the original Devon interior parts

Can anyone shed a light on this one for me ?

Many thanks in advance

it was Japanese oak originally

Hi Monty,

have a look at my thread as i got some veneer ply to do my cooker ans it was a good match once stained?? See what you think? :D

i'll be tackling this at some stage too, so keep us informed of how you get on.

Latest posts