differences between late/early bay door handles?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Htotheunit

Reaction score
Hello, i need a set of lock barrels for my van, and i've found a full set, working off the same key on ebay (from a breaking van)

Only problem is im not sure if Late bay lock barrels will fit

Help me!! :?

I know the engine lid locks are different... and the sliding door.

Not sure on the rest, or which locks you can swap barrels on.

Only 68's are different, with the push button handles, the rest are all the same.

yeah i just need cab door locks (my drivers doors broken but if i can replace them both, use them off one key :wink: )

I do have a repro handle (probably crap chrome) at home so i can keep the van secure without having to lock it from the inside and get in through the passenger door until i can afford a new barrel from C&C

just a shame to have to swap the OG handle for a crap one, even if the OG will go back on

Why not just swap the barrel from the repro one to the good one?

It might just fit. Not sure though ;)

Tofufi said:
Why not just swap the barrel from the repro one to the good one?

It might just fit. Not sure though ;)

The mechs from new Brazilian ones wont go into og handles, mores the pity.

hi, I've got a spare OG front door handle which I don't need - bought as a pair but only used one - you're welcome to it altho' whether barrel works I don't know as they didn't come with a key - Megabug spun the barrel on the other one for around a fiver and it was fine - chrome is flaking but that adds to character! I will be at Volksworld in the EB lineup if that's any good, gerry

Clem said:
Only 68's are different, with the push button handles, the rest are all the same.

In addition to the fronts being different, all of the key codes for 1967 split and 1968 bay are 'L' coded locks. Fronts have the same profile, as well as the rear hatch lock barrel. So, 1968 slider door has a one year only lock code designation, important to know when you need to replace your handle! After that, all bays were 'R' code from 1969-1979. R code handles fit on a 68, just have to carry 2 keys.

Latest posts