Difficulty Restarting

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StuF

Reaction score
Morning all,

My bus is a standard 1600 with a PICT 34 single carb, electronic ignition and a vac advance dizzy.
From cold the bus starts immediately and runs/drives fine - no flat spots, clean revving, very nice

However if I literally start the bus, reverse out of the garage and park on the road and turn the engine off to lock the house up it refuses to catch again.

After 10 mins or so of being left alone it fires straight up again and runs a treat

Starter is only 2 years old and it turns and turns and turns without issue, I have great battery voltage, all electrical connections checked and secure, 67westy came over and set my carb up so that is good

I am a little stumped?
Any ideas?

Have you been briefed on the old "start up" routine? As I was told:

When starting from cold: Give the accelerator a firm press down and off, before cranking the engine.
When starting from warm: As you turn the key to start, slowly depress the accelerator to the floor, and then hold the throttle open (e.g. no pumping) while you crank it, works well for me.

StuF said:
Morning all,

My bus is a standard 1600 with a PICT 34 single carb, electronic ignition and a vac advance dizzy.
From cold the bus starts immediately and runs/drives fine - no flat spots, clean revving, very nice

However if I literally start the bus, reverse out of the garage and park on the road and turn the engine off to lock the house up it refuses to catch again.

After 10 mins or so of being left alone it fires straight up again and runs a treat

Starter is only 2 years old and it turns and turns and turns without issue, I have great battery voltage, all electrical connections checked and secure, 67westy came over and set my carb up so that is good

I am a little stumped?
Any ideas?

Still got that spare carb if you want to give it a try mate, Could be worth giving yours a strip down as there was that bit of fuel leaking so could possibly be a stuck needle valva or damaged float causing it to flood so the 10 min waits lets that evaporate off. I had a similar problem on a PICT 34 with an elec fuel pump and dodgy pressure regulator. Happy to take the carb off, clean it and rebuild it with you, GSF sell the kits so easy enough to pick one up if needed :)

Might take you up on that Adam - seems to be fine restarting once upto temp so will have to manage it that way
Think it is flooding if I stop the engine before it has chance to warm up!

Will speak to you about it this weekend! Cheers :D

StuF said:
Might take you up on that Adam - seems to be fine restarting once upto temp so will have to manage it that way
Think it is flooding if I stop the engine before it has chance to warm up!

Will speak to you about it this weekend! Cheers :D

Hopefully we'll be there but have you seen the forecast for Saturday?! :msn4:

Weather? We have the mothership to retreat into if necessary!
Skin is waterproof too :msn4:

Cheers for the advice everyone - will manage this weekend and look at rebuilding the carb before Dubs@The Castle and Spa!

ggn06awu said:
Have you been briefed on the old "start up" routine? As I was told:

When starting from cold: Give the accelerator a firm press down and off, before cranking the engine.
When starting from warm: As you turn the key to start, slowly depress the accelerator to the floor, and then hold the throttle open (e.g. no pumping) while you crank it, works well for me.

Want to make sure I don't lose this ;-)

Latest posts