diy headliner installing

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dodge6x6

Reaction score
hi all
just wondering if anyones fitted there own headliner in there bus, have a microbus which needs one replaceing and would like to have a go myself but wondered if there were any pitfalls to doing it,
i know i need to replace all the window seals as there shot as well so just trying to gather some info at mo before spending some money,

cheers Peter

I thought yours looked good on the pics. Contact Merlydog - she's over your way and had hers fitted for a very reasonable price.

got a few rips in it bigest over drivers seat just sown it up for mo but would make interior so much fresher
with a new one
IMG_0295.jpg

saw merlydog's at american dinner looked good, my partners a bit well can you do it and im well i think i can just dont want to mess it up if i do do it myself, need to save funds for window seals first then decide what im going to do

cheers

had a template from an og one.....then sourced some j trim and h trim ....it pops up from time to time....i have supplier who can get hold of 3mm birch ply in 5 x 5 sheets then gave it 3 or 4 coats of satin varnish, job done

I went wood as well to save cash. I think I could do the headlining but it'd end up with filthy hand prints all over by the time I finished + as I'm always jamming things in the bus that won't quite fit, it would end up ripped in no time.
I also copied a Westy front piece, then the rest was easy(ish).

I pondered this for months and then in the end decided to let a trimmer do it.. I saw some serious home made disasters, it really is an art to get it tight enough that it doesn't sag after a few months! Morecombeandwise and grazy? I think do the wood panel kits for a reasonable price. All cut to shape ready for install. Dal on here did his own which looked great when he'd finished but he looks seriously handy if you read his threads!
Good luck with whatever you decide though :D

Hi Peter

met you at the American Diner too (mutual friend Gaz at Holden Motors) intereted to see how this works out for you (and wouldnt mind helping/nosing if you go for it). I bought a TMI headliner of someone on here cheap and its on a list of 'to do' things once i get my sunroof working and the bits of welding around the aperture sorted.

Karl

Peter, I've just bottled out of fitting my own headliner. ( waiting for a quote )
Done a lot of reading on forums and sounds like the best advice is ' leave it to the pro's ' .
Apparently there's a lot of heating, stretching and swearing involved.
When you consider it's up there for a long time, perhaps it's best to shell out a bit now rather than have a 'dodgy' job stare .
you in the face every time you get in the bus .

Although,.... if there's someone out there who has done a 'how to' ( or is willing to post advice/instructions ) on fitting a headliner
perhaps it would give us the confidence to have a go ourselves ;)

Latest posts