Do Beetle air filters fit?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markevo30

Reaction score
My standard 1600sp engine runs great once the revs rise but has a lumpy tick over and stalls at junctions. After a bit of investigating it turns out to be carb icing.

I've got a crappy pancake filter fitted at the moment which I'd like to replace with an oil bath type with a warm air pipe to stop the icing. Unfortunately the filter stand has been cut off so I was wondering if an original beetle filter would fit directly on top of the carb.

Has anyone done this and if so should I be looking for a filter from a particular year/model bug?

Thanks,

Mark

Don't know if they fit, however I had the same problem and have used a hand made piece of metal.
Check my build thread, and I bought a second hand oil bath type from a fellow EB on here.

J & P
:D :D :D

markevo30 said:
My standard 1600sp engine runs great once the revs rise but has a lumpy tick over and stalls at junctions. After a bit of investigating it turns out to be carb icing.

I've got a crappy pancake filter fitted at the moment which I'd like to replace with an oil bath type with a warm air pipe to stop the icing. Unfortunately the filter stand has been cut off so I was wondering if an original beetle filter would fit directly on top of the carb.

Has anyone done this and if so should I be looking for a filter from a particular year/model bug?

Thanks,

Mark

Yes they do, Ive done exactly what you are suggesting in the past. Its a great fix.

Dude I'm in the same boat, beetle filter fitted to my SP engine and I'm just gonna fit the warm air pipe tomorrow and see what's what. I've even fitted a heated jacket and it still froze the top inch of pipe!!

Dude I'm in the same boat, beetle filter fitted to my SP engine and I'm just gonna fit the warm air pipe tomorrow and see what's what. I've even fitted a heated jacket and it still froze the top inch of pipe!!

Looks like you're a week or two ahead of me on this one as i'm still gathering the parts.

Any photos or feedback when it's done would be good if you don't mind.

Mark

markevo30 said:
Yes they do, Ive done exactly what you are suggesting in the past. Its a great fix.

Thanks Clem.

Did it look anything like this? I've spotted it on fleabay.

Yep, that's good.

We had this

And so did this

Latest posts